FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Mawy_Plants
Why thank you Fly Trap Hunter! I'd like to get a few cultivars, still waiting on which I really want. Don't mind adding more typicals either.

Got some D. capensis varieties I'm hoping will germinate within the next month or two. Hopefully with autumn approaching, sooner than later. Otherwise I'll have to bring them inside or get a light to assist them. Which I don't really want... More interested in naturally growing my plants. ;)

Considering a Sarracenia next. We'll see! This CP hobby sure gets addicting.
Mawy_Plants liked this
By Fly Trap Hunter
I see the CPs at Lowes but they don't last long. People buy them right away. mostly what you see are tiny dormant plants that are just waking up(death cubes). Or you can get little terrariums with decent rhizome venus fly traps or pitcher plants(just a plastic container). or they have a cheap plastic terrarium type that is alive that has 3 to 4 types of CPs to choose from. that last type is my favorite. I'm told the stock doesn't stay a week and they get in a few hundred at a time. they don't seem to get many shipments. Riviera got some of this last type. They were not bad.
Mawy_Plants wrote:Hope you collected some rain! I'm anticipating when it does here so I can. Perhaps this coming week we'll have a good pour.

You make me want to go scavenging at Lowe's. I keep seeing that store pop-up in the forums, hoping the one near me has something worth buying! I currently do not have any Sarracenia, maybe I'll have a go at those CPs next.

Thanks! Seems to be working as planned. It doesn't have a full seal tho, nothing Saran Wrap couldn't fix. It actually makes it easier once I start to acclimate them, just tear off some wrap gradually. Another potential propagator idea would be one of those plastic egg containers. We just finished using the eggs and I thought it might be useful to save, there are 24 little wells! Maybe with larger seeds I'll use that to separate them individually.

I have no idea what exact varieties are in my mix. I'm just excited to see what the next few months bring! Good luck with all your seeds! Hope you keep us in the loop. :D
By Fly Trap Hunter
I planted D Natelinsis but I havnt seen any germinated seeds yet. I don't know if its too hot.

I have some D Spatulata seeds as well. I will share my seed bank story with you and Riviera if you want?

Happy Growing.
Mawy_Plants wrote:Why thank you Fly Trap Hunter! I'd like to get a few cultivars, still waiting on which I really want. Don't mind adding more typicals either.

Got some D. capensis varieties I'm hoping will germinate within the next month or two. Hopefully with autumn approaching, sooner than later. Otherwise I'll have to bring them inside or get a light to assist them. Which I don't really want... More interested in naturally growing my plants. ;)

Considering a Sarracenia next. We'll see! This CP hobby sure gets addicting.
By Mawy_Plants
Lowe's isnt too far from me, I will definitely check it out when I'm in the area. Hopefully people aren't as giddy about CPs so there are some remaining. Although the idea of my area having great interest isn't a bad thing. Lol.

Great news tho! I decided to check out Home Depot yesterday since it's not too far from home. Low and behold, I got there when a new shipment of CPs arrived. What what! Although they had a display of 4x6 death cube cups, most of which are VFTs. There were 4 Sarracenia typicals! At least I'm guessing they're typicals since they didn't have a label. One may be S. purpurea based on pitcher characteristic. Tho I'm not too finicky about knowing the exact species. Anyway, I decided to purchase 2 of them. The other has pitchers much more slender and slightly taller. I'm glad I decided to follow my urge to drop by when I did. Then last night after work, I decided to stop by another Home Depot on my way home just to see and they had 3 of those 4x6 displays. They had a handful of Sarracenia, decided to hold off tho. I'm happy with the 2 little ones I got! :) They also had some Nepenthes, but I'll wait to get into that Genus.

I'd be happy to hear your seed bank story! I just misted my little guys today since I'm afraid of the tops drying out since it's gotten too humid so I opened it up a bit. I'm not sure if I should be worried about high humidity, I read it was okay early on.
By Fly Trap Hunter
some of my fly trap seeds germinated in just water. The vft seeds that have done the best sprouted in new Zealand sphagnum moss.

as far as the pitcher plants... I don't know anything about then. there are forums for that.

congrats on the store purchase. I'm glad they are getting decent looking plants in there. I want a baby pitcher. just a tiny one. lol

I have a Drosera Spatulata and a D. Natelinsis Sundews on the way to me in the mail. oh theres a forum on here where people sell their extra plants. and they have giveways too. I enjoy trading. it makes for a fun sharing community.
By Mawy_Plants
I wanted to try water germination, but I don't have grow lights. I read it's better to have a set up if doing it that way. I'm glad to hear they sprouted tho! I'm hoping I get some on both my peat/sand mix and LFS. It's been 10 days now.

I will post in one of the pitcher forums soon. I'm reading that it's best to not disturb during growing season or right before dormancy. Seems to be the case with all CPs. Back when I rescued :lol: my VFTs mid-June, it was late spring/ early summer, so that's during growing season. You've seen how they've done since the repot. Although, Sarracenia and Dionaea are clearly not the same Family so who knows.

Thanks! Earlier that morning I ordered 2 Cephalotus plants too (arrived last night), so I went on a slight splurge that day. I even got some plants for my gma, none of which are CPs. Haha. Bet you're stoked to get those! I have seen a post from a few weeks ago of plants for sale from a member. Wonder if he still has any, I wouldn't mind getting a hold of some. At the same it's easy to overwhelm yourself with all these plants, I might just have to relax until spring! It really awesome that this community continues spreading the CP love!

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!