FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By zoliky
Hello, my Venus flytraps were hit by frost last night. It was 5F outside. I kept them on a cold windowsill but it looks like the window didn't offer enough seal for them. The soil freezed and the leaves turned dark. I probably won't see any new growth because the plants were already in the deepest level of dormancy when the frost happened.

I watered once at 10-14 days. Is there any chance to save them? At the moment the sun is shining on the windowsill, so I hope they the soil will start to losen in a few hours.

a.jpg
a.jpg (194.12 KiB) Viewed 3646 times
b.jpg
b.jpg (190.24 KiB) Viewed 3646 times
Last edited by zoliky on Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By zoliky
I think the brown spot is a bit of frost burn, because I didn't have that yesterday.
brown.jpg
brown.jpg (157.75 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
b.jpg
b.jpg (139.19 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
I kept them in the same spot last year and everything went fine, but this year seems to be way colder.
Last edited by zoliky on Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By zoliky
The garage window is too cold for them. I measured temperatures below 32F during the night and it's too much for my flytraps to take.

I have a cold basement where the temperature stays between 35-41F (2-5C), but there is no light. Is it okay to move the flytraps in the basement for the night and move it back to the windowsill during the day? As far as I know moving don't affect a dormant plant. I checked the weather forecast and the next 4 days will be the coldest during the night, then temperatures will rise.
By Matt
zoliky wrote:I have a cold basement where the temperature stays between 35-41F (2-5C), but there is no light. Is it okay to move the flytraps in the basement for the night and move it back to the windowsill during the day?
That would be fine.
Matt liked this
By idog24
They will be fine. But on a side note the second picture of the plant looks like it is severely light starved.
By Branmuffin
Your plants can take temps down to 20f with basically no protection. Freezing doesn't mean the plants are going to die but repeated freezing and thawing might. Light is not that big of a factor during dormancy, if they can get light it's obviously better than not but they will survive with little light through the winter.
By zoliky
Branmuffin wrote:Your plants can take temps down to 20f with basically no protection. Freezing doesn't mean the plants are going to die but repeated freezing and thawing might. Light is not that big of a factor during dormancy, if they can get light it's obviously better than not but they will survive with little light through the winter.
It was 5F the night my pots froze solid.
By zoliky
idog24 wrote:They will be fine. But on a side note the second picture of the plant looks like it is severely light starved.
I think it's just a flytrap that has longer leaves (different genetics?). The leaves started pointing down after the pots froze solid.

I kept my flytraps outdoors in full sun and they get plenty of sun in the windowsill as well. I know windowsills aren't the best, but due to the smaller than 50F temperatures, I thought a windowsill will do it for the dormancy.

The plants looked like this outdoors in full sun:
Attachments:
b.jpg
b.jpg (127.42 KiB) Viewed 3390 times
a.jpg
a.jpg (119.13 KiB) Viewed 3390 times
Fishing

I'll list them then and let you all see what you m[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!