FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Dematerialize
Hi. My girlfriend knows how much I love carnivorous plants and she got me this one as a gift today. I've read a bit about them but I've been mostly focused on Sundews which I'm trying to get to germinate at the moment(drosera spatulata). Here's a picture I just took:

Can anyone identify what kind of Sarracenia this one is? This was bought at a flea market where an old lady has a large greenhouse. She mostly sells non-carnivorous plants but she had a few pitcher plants --and this one stood out to me the most. She really didn't have much info on any of these plants(to the point she just told me she used tap water) and if any of you could help point me out in the right direction with a specific name I'd be able to read a bit more about them and any specific requirements(direct/indirect sunlight, tray watering etc). Thanks in advance!

-Alex
By Dematerialize
I just found my old camera so hopefully these pictures will be more helpful than the earlier ones I took with my phone:

And I agree, she had them in a large awkward greenhouse. Most of them weren't in a tray(and the soil was dry) some were hanging from support beams on the ceiling too. She said they don't get to water them on the weekdays and it's just on the weekends when they open the flea market(they also have signs "closing business soon") so it was probably dry and without enough sunlight. :( at least it looks like it's doing ok for now.

It's not fully out in the sun yet since that greenhouse was very well ventilated and felt pretty cool and here the balcony where it'll be is either indirect sunlight(kind of warm, from 80F to 95F) or direct strong sunlight on the stairs from 1 until sunset.

There's a few roots coming out of the bottom of the tray so I'll have to repot it soon. One thing that troubled me a bit was that she said the soil was "normal" soil. I'm not sure whether she just bought the plants from someone else or what but she didn't seem very knowledgeable. She looks like she's in her early 70s so I doubt she's been the one dealing with most of the plants.
By SFLguy
Hmm well I'd definitely repot it in any case and I think it's some sort of flava leuco hybrid or something of that matter
SFLguy liked this
By ItsMeRonilo
Hmm well I'd definitely repot it in any case and I think it's some sort of flava leuco hybrid or something of that matter<br/> Yeah I agree with him. It really looks like Flava x Leuco hybrid or, maybe, Minor.
ItsMeRonilo liked this
By Robster_24
the hybrid might be quite complex... I think I see some purp in there... either way it is an etiolated mess!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robster_24 liked this
By SFLguy
Now that I'm looking at it, it definitely had some Alata (or Rubra) in it
SFLguy liked this
By Dematerialize
Thank you all for the help! I'll try and look up those and see if I can get a general idea of what to do/expect. :)
By SFLguy
Well once it colors up a bit more, we'll be able to judge it's parentage better
By Dematerialize
Ok gotcha. Do you think I should put it in a spot with direct sunlight right away for most of the day or should I try to acclimate it?

Right now on its current spot near the stairs it's going to receive direct sunlight from 1pm till 6-7pm. I live in Georgia so it's been getting pretty hot in the last few weeks and I was worried it'd get scorched. I have a small tray under it with about half an inch of distilled water.

Thanks again,

-Alex
By w03
If its really hot and bright outside, try to acclimate it first. However, Sarracenia are pretty tough as long as they get good light and are kept wet. Even if you did put it outside right away, it probably wouldn't hurt the plant too much as long as the conditions aren't too severe. A lot of the leaves might burn or dry up, but it will produce new ones.

If the air is really stagnant and humid as well as hot, make sure to watch out for fungal infections/rhizome rot. These can set in fairly quickly in weaker plants.
By cbennett4041
To my eye, this appears to be a S. x Judith Hindle that doesn't receive enough light. Acclimate it to full sun and see if the colors pop.

I would go back to the flea market and shot them an offer for all of their Sarrs. If they are going out of business and neglect them anyway I bet you can get a sweet deal. View it as your service to Sarr conservancy.
Repotting carnivorous plants

Looks OK to me. Where did you get you Cobra Lily? […]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!