FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Bob Beer
I grow under T5s and they are a good 15 inches away and color up well, so I don’t think the problem is light. I’d say more light. If it’s 100% mineral mix then try raising the water level a bit. My mix is mostly mineral but about 20-25% peat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By evenwind
Mine color up nicely 8" from a bank of T8s in an all mineral mix. So there's obviously no one way to grow them "correctly". Just be sure that the roots are touching the medium and the light is "bright". My guess is the ping will color up after it's adapted to your conditions and is happy. Decide on a light/media/watering solution that should work and be patient.
By nimbulan
Keep in mind when determining light distance that a larger number of bulbs in the fixture allows for mounting the lights higher. People often start out with 2 bulb T5 fixtures which I wouldn't mount any higher than 6" above the top of the pots. You can increase the distance significantly with 4-, 6-, or even 8-bulb fixtures that people with larger collections use.
nimbulan liked this
By hackerberry
UsagiGreenPaw wrote:Ok. Yeah. That makes sense, hackerberry. It seems it wants some moisture. I know not to treat all carniverous plants the same, but I wouldnt have made the mental leap to upping the humidity since my experience with droseras found the humdity didnt really do anything for them. More light made the big sticky globs. :)

Totally dont mind pampering it a bit. Whenever I see plants in domes for sale, they are usually rotted. Is it suggested to pop open the dome twice a day or so for air or...? Also, is there a range I'm shooting for? 60% humdity?
Poor flower though. It is adorable. *snip snip*
You will only need the dome until the plant is covered with due. This means that it is over it's shock phase. You really don't have to open the dome but do so if you have time.
hackerberry liked this
By tannerm
I think it’s a water issue as others have said. Shouldn’t just be “placed” on media, should be planted. When peat gets wet, it compacts. It likely compacted to a level lower than the roots currently are.

tannerm liked this
By Bob Beer
It’s barely organized chaos actually. I didn’t even mount the lights, they just sit on the shelf above. ;-) I should change that tho - because it’s a pain to change bulbs that way, AND I may, or may not, have just ordered six more pings...and I could work another bank of lights in if I brought all the lights 5-6 inches closer...allowing more room for raising pullings to sell and justify my profligacy...

Bob Beer liked this
By jeff
for me P.cyclosecta is a limestone specie, with a dry winter period from october to may and a wet season from may to october ,in the hottest months even june -august temperature 28-30°c, with a sunny condition
the apex of the leaves takes mauve color.

jeff
jeff liked this
Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!