FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Tyrannobdella
52415948406__EDD1C82D-301D-4582-BD8B-7257FA0D0F68.JPG
52415948406__EDD1C82D-301D-4582-BD8B-7257FA0D0F68.JPG (694.08 KiB) Viewed 7227 times
I'm seriously so disappointed. Do you think there's any chance he killed it? Or should it be okay? There's one he didn't destroy that is still growing so I hope it'll still make it :cry:
By Shadowtski
I'd make a facetious remark about the cat but I don't want to risk the ire of all cat-loving Forum members. (I'm a Dog Person, myself.)

Go to the hardware store, buy some metal hardware cloth with a 1/2 inch mesh. This is like chicken-wire but sturdier. Make a cylinder that fits over your plant and pot.

I use this to keep birds, squirrels, and suchlike vermin out of my outdoor CP.

Good growing,
Mike
By Big-Jack
I would not tolerate that kind of deliberate destruction of my property. You feed him, pet him, change his litter box, give him toys, etc. and that is the thanks you get ?
By boarderlib
Big-Jack wrote:I would not tolerate that kind of deliberate destruction of my property. You feed him, pet him, change his litter box, give him toys, etc. and that is the thanks you get ?
So what would you suggest, getting rid of the cat? Having a pet is no different than having a child. You make a commitment to take care of that pet, whether it be a cat, a dog, a bat, or a frog. When you have a kid you make alterations to your life by adding plug covers, cabinet locks or whatever. So you should be ready to make the necessary adaptations for a pet. If you have house plants then be prepared because a dog will dig in the pots, and a cat will piss in them. You being a responsible owner need to be ready to make those adaptations, so everyone can live happily together.

I agree completely with Mike, a wire cage will keep your kitty at bay. If you make it big enough and sturdy enough (using wood to frame it) it will allow the cat to share the space with the plant. The key people don't realize about cats is they are possessive. That was probably the cats windowsill before the plants, and you kicked him out of his spot. Cats love watching outside, and basking up the light in a windowsill. That's their nature, and that's something that can never be changed.

Can you tell I'm a cat person?Image Kitties for life!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By boarderlib
Oh yeah, and your plant should be fine. When I have my cobras or sarrs inside for cleaning or whatever my youngest cat, slap boxes with them. It's quite funny actually.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By Branmuffin
If you don't wish to go the chicken wire route because of asthetics, you can mix some water and cayenne pepper and mist the plants. It should keep your cat away for a few weeks, you can also look for other herbs or spices they dislike.

Also, I'm team dog, cats just do not care what think.
By Fishkeeper
You may want to clear away some of the moss that's over the center of the plant, it'll grow new leaves a bit faster if light reaches the center of it, but it'll be just fine.
Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You might want to try searching for online plant s[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!