FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Steve_D
BenWilliam wrote:Like I said, I can only assume that this co-incides with the abundants of insects that are being caught.
I think you're right. The situation is the same here in New Mexico, U.S., living in a region with numerous dairies and billions of flies. My plants' traps are almost always closed (on a fly or two) and closed traps don't turn red. When I bring some Flytraps inside to grow for a while under artificial light, they turn red. They're open all the time inside (no flies; or rather, relatively fewer flies) and get fairly strong light for more hours of the day.

At any rate, your Flytraps and other plants look beautiful. :)
Steve_D liked this
By Oblivion
BenWilliam wrote:Honestly, all of my sundews hitched a ride in with one VFT I purchased about a year back, and since then they have absolutely taken off! Almost becoming invasive! So all I can assume is that they are just typical capensis forms. Any suggestions with what to do with so many?
emphasis mine

same thing myself and many others do

i gave a lot of mine away during halloween. heres a bag of lollies, and heres your killer plant !
By BenWilliam
As the autumnal days grow shorter and shorter, so do the leaves of the Venus Fly Trap as they enter dormancy. Here are some photos:

Big Mouth:

A 'naturalised' seedling only a few months old:

Great B52 colouration late in the season:

Compact winter growth visible around crown as the older summer leaves die back:

An Akai Ryu being overshadowed by a Dutch Delight:
BenWilliam liked this
By ThomasL
Nice Plants Ben
Whats your secrect about the flowerstalk cutting? I never see and hear about a flowerstalk cutting wich go successful.

Bye Thomas
By BenWilliam
ThomasL wrote:Nice Plants Ben
Whats your secrect about the flowerstalk cutting? I never see and hear about a flowerstalk cutting wich go successful.

Bye Thomas
Firstly, not all my cuttings are successful. I'd say only about 50% of my cuttings are.

Secondly, if there is a secret, it would be to keep it moist and lots and lots of patience. It can take quite a while, but I generally find that if the stalk stays green for about 2 weeks, then it will form new plants. If the stalk dies almost immediately after cutting and turns black, then it won't form new plants.

My tips would be to stick the stalk in upright, keep it moist, then wait and wait and wait!
By BenWilliam
Time for a mid winter update. Days are close to being at their shortest, about 9.5 hours of daylight. As such, my plants are deep in their sleep, here are some pics!

Fully Mature Low Giant, showing some very small compact growth

Big Mouth

Akai Ryu

Unnamed Seedling

Bristle Tooth

B52
Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!