FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By Aozora
im growing sphagnum moss between my plants in the terrarium, and its growing really great, a little too great. i started with some cut off heads and placed them on peat, but they have grown to be 5-6cm (2inches) tall. if they keep growing like this it wont take long before they start to cover all of my plants.

i was wondering how people were maintaining their sphagnum moss, pressing it back down? cutting off their heads? or just let them keep growing?

is there even a limit to how tall they can grow?
By Leathal_Traps
I don't believe there is a limit to how tall it can grow. Do you have pictures of your moss? In lower light and high humidity the moss tends to grow very stringly, with higher light it grows more slowly but it is much thicker
By Aozora

the humidity is between 60 and 80, higher during night and lower during day. as for light im using 2x18W 6500k fluorecent tubes, its not the best there is but its the best that would fit in the tank without having to demolish the top of the tank (and the plants seem to be doing fine :P).

i also tried to take a picture of my main batch of sphagnum which is growing outside in sunlight, but its night here and i cant seem to get any good pictures of it. but it pretty much looks the same as the picture above.
By Leathal_Traps
Wow, that's a very cool species. Nice star shaped heads. As for maintaining the moss, you can cut the heads off, place them somewhere else and they'll start to grow too!
By tannerm
Aozora wrote:Image

the humidity is between 60 and 80, higher during night and lower during day. as for light im using 2x18W 6500k fluorecent tubes, its not the best there is but its the best that would fit in the tank without having to demolish the top of the tank (and the plants seem to be doing fine :P).

i also tried to take a picture of my main batch of sphagnum which is growing outside in sunlight, but its night here and i cant seem to get any good pictures of it. but it pretty much looks the same as the picture above.
Is that outside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Aozora
Leathal_Traps wrote:Wow, that's a very cool species. Nice star shaped heads. As for maintaining the moss, you can cut the heads off, place them somewhere else and they'll start to grow too!
Thanks, i also really like it that they have such a dark green looking color, usually its more of a lighter green such as the little patch in back of the picture.

as for cutting off the heads, is it best to just cut them off right under the head, or also cut off a part of the stem so that the stem might also produce some heads?
By Aozora
tannerm wrote:
Aozora wrote:Image

Is that outside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No this was inside the tank,

this is the batch outside, but autumn has started to kick in last week and the temperatures have dropped from 87℉ to 42℉. so it wont be long before it stops growing until spring comes again.
By xr280xr
I wish I had that problem. I've been growing some in plastic "to go" containers hoping to be able to start harvesting it, drying it, and using it as media for my flytraps, but it's been growing really slowly.
By Aozora
xr280xr wrote:I wish I had that problem. I've been growing some in plastic "to go" containers hoping to be able to start harvesting it, drying it, and using it as media for my flytraps, but it's been growing really slowly.
I have tried some different growing methods, but growing them under artificial light in high humidity and at a temperature of +/- 70°F seems to be the best.

Try to avoid high temperatures, they dont seem to like that.
Aozora liked this
By boarderlib
I'm no pro with moss, but when mine starts running rampant in my Darlingtonia pots I just start yanking it out and throw it in my secondary moss bin. My plants aren't really very small so there's no worry of damaging them.

Happy growing!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!