FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By scottr08
Hey everyone,

I'm new to tissue culture (purchased a kit from PhytoTech) and it came with a stage 2 VFT culture, but I think I killed the VFT's when sterilizing to put in new media. I made a mistake by sterilizing already sterile tissue! Does anyone know where I can buy a VFT stage 2 culture? Looking for just the original variety for now. If you have some available, I would be willing to pay for them!

Thanks,

Scott
By Doomsday
scottr08 wrote:Hey everyone,

I'm new to tissue culture (purchased a kit from PhytoTech) and it came with a stage 2 VFT culture, but I think I killed the VFT's when sterilizing to put in new media. I made a mistake by sterilizing already sterile tissue! Does anyone know where I can buy a VFT stage 2 culture? Looking for just the original variety for now. If you have some available, I would be willing to pay for them!

Thanks,

Scott
I'm not sure what their "Stage 2" culture looks like, but you're correct in realizing that you didn't have to re-sterilize it. Once a plant is growing in sterile culture, it doesn't need to be sterilized ever again (thankfully :lol:) unless it becomes contaminated.

I don't have any "typical" Dionaea cultures available right now, but I'm hoping to have some this spring/summer. I highly recommend you get some fresh Dionaea seed from a reputable source, and work with those, for your first sterile initiation attempt. Compared to other carnivorous plant seeds, they are pretty easy to see (not tiny or papery), handle sterilizing pretty well, and germinate pretty quickly, too.

If you do that (Dionaea seed), you could potentially have dozens of Dionaea cultures by mid-spring.
By nicszabo
We have plenty of vft 'typical' cultures on the rack we can part with. If you pay for shipping I will send you out one to get you started. Send me a PM and we can go from there.
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!