FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Randall
I have come to understand that Dorsera Capensis is hard to kill. However, I have periodically noticed that my propagated sundews struggle from time to time. It is connected with repotting fixing the problem. When I repot the roots brake (ps I suck at repotting) and the root are obviously smaller then. My main question (sorry I'm long winded and I ramble) is do sundews get root bound and healthy plants start to suffer because of this? This is the only conclusion that I can come up with for my plants health spikes. Thanks for your guy's help in advance!
By Shadowtski
They get rootbound. Leave a capensis or binata in a pot for over two years, and if the roots don't escape, they'll circle the pot. As long as your media is OK, the plant won't suffer too much from this.

Speaking of repotting, look at the photo of the plant I just posted for a giveaway. I pulled it out of the pot it was growing in with the mother plant. I broke some roots pulling it up. I repotted it and look at the leaf down-jump. The plant is growing new roots OK, but the new leaves are smaller than the earlier ones. Give it a month or so and it will be back to normal. This is only a temporary setback, nothing to worry about.

The alternative would have been to dig up the mother plant also, knock the media off their roots and separate the roots. This would have been easier on the offspring but harder on the mother plant. I want it to flower and generate fresh seed this Summer.

Good growing,
Mike

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!