FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Mayoace
Hi I just repotted my vfts and I noticed it only had a few black short roots with white tips but it also had long black roots without white tips is this normal?
By Mayoace
Thanks Matt I really care about my vft and I was a little startled when I reported 5 vft from a 2.5 inch pots to separate pots and I thought I did something wrong.
By ambkosh8465
Thanks, Matt. I'd always wondered why some of the roots have white tips and some don't. So if you started a small plant in a more shallow pot and then move it into a deeper one after it gets bigger, does that mean its roots will never get any longer than the original pot's depth was?
By Matt
ambkosh8465 wrote:So if you started a small plant in a more shallow pot and then move it into a deeper one after it gets bigger, does that mean its roots will never get any longer than the original pot's depth was?
That's correct. Any roots that don't have a white tip will not grow any further. However, flytraps are always putting down new roots (lots if they're not over watered) and when repotted to a deeper pot, the new roots will grow longer.
Matt liked this
By Veronis
Mayoace wrote:Hi I just repotted my vfts and I noticed it only had a few black short roots with white tips but it also had long black roots without white tips is this normal?
To add to this discussion since you said you only had few short roots:

Ensure that you don't keep the soil too wet, or it will affect the flytrap's roots (rot them off over time), which will adversely affect the flytrap's ability to grow.

Always let the soil dry a bit between waterings, only being careful that the soil never dries out completely. Flytraps despise constantly-soggy soil.
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!