FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By shakirafan329
Hi guys I have my plants on my windowsill and I just ordered 2 new plants and there's not enough room on my windowsill anymore. So I wanted to know if a 700 Lumen light will be good for about 2 plants. The wattage that the light is giving of is 75 any help would really be appreciated because one of mt plants come in the mail tommorow Thanks!!! :mrgreen:
By simplemath01
About how big is the area you are growing them in? There is a formula to calculate lux, which is what you want to do. Take the lumens of your light bulb, and divide it by the area in meters squared to get lux. The ideal range would be between 10,000 and 25,000, which is the equivalent to full sunlight but not direct sun. Ill type the formula below for reference. Hope this helps!

1 lux = (1 lumen) / (1 meter^2)
By Ae9803
To answer your question, no. 700 lumens is not near enough the intensity needed for photosynthesis. Let me explain....

First of all let me explain to you what lux is compared to lumens.....

The lux is the SI unit of illuminance and luminous emittance measuring luminous power per area. It is used in as a measure of the intensity, as seen by the human eye, of light that hits or passes.

In this, lux is measured by how much "lux" flux is spread over any given area. Think of it as compared from direct light and shade. One good explain is take a desk lamp, the closer you get to a surface object the brighter it appears, and opposite with decreasing the light further away from the object. Thats how lux is measured, closer to the surface you get, more lux you are concentrating. "Seems brighter" So your 700 lumen set up, is going to depend on how close you get the bulb to the plant. You would practically have to get the plant touching the bulb. If you are aprox 1 meter away, its like if you were to take your plant outside in the dark, it would have little to no effect on your plants photosynthesis.

One lux is equal to one lumen per square metre:

1 lx = 1 lm/m2 = 1 cd·sr·m–2.

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!