FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Fishkeeper
Anyone know if Legos are safe materials to use around CPs, assuming they're clean? They're molded plastic, made out of stuff that's probably more durable than most plastic pots, and there are quite a lot of possibilities.
By nimbulan
Any plastic should be perfectly safe. Out of curiosity, what do you plan on using them for?
By Sakaaaaa
I have thought about using legos for plant pots since I was a kid :) Although maybe you should get the clear legos, the paint may seep in (?)
By Fishkeeper
Legos are made from colored plastic poured into molds, like how flowerpots are made. The dye is inside the plastic, they aren't painted, and I'm pretty sure it can't get out, since Legos don't fade unless you leave them in the sun.

I mostly plan on using them as props. I'm trying to move all my moisture-loving CPs into the same water tray, and some are in smaller pots or would prefer to have less of the pot submerged, so I'll need a bunch of easily-adjustable props. Might also see if I can make cool-looking pots, or even a tiny set of shelves to prop u the plants in the back. Basically, I have ideas for these versatile little things.
Fishkeeper liked this
By roarke
Fishkeeper wrote:Legos are made from colored plastic poured into molds, like how flowerpots are made. The dye is inside the plastic, they aren't painted, and I'm pretty sure it can't get out, since Legos don't fade unless you leave them in the sun.

I mostly plan on using them as props. I'm trying to move all my moisture-loving CPs into the same water tray, and some are in smaller pots or would prefer to have less of the pot submerged, so I'll need a bunch of easily-adjustable props. Might also see if I can make cool-looking pots, or even a tiny set of shelves to prop u the plants in the back. Basically, I have ideas for these versatile little things.
Trays made of lego ?
By Fishkeeper
I don't think Legos can quite form a waterproof seal, I won't be making the tray out of them, but they are a good way to prop pots up. I want to keep about an inch of water in the tray to keep my moisture-loving plants in large pots happy, which means that smaller pots or pots containing plants that prefer less water will need to be propped up so they aren't standing in an inch of water. Ideally, I need props that are sturdy and easily adjustable, which Legos are.
By nimbulan
I agree, I would not trust Legos to contain water. They should make excellent props though, as they come in a wide variety of sizes.
By Adelaide
What an awesome idea! You could probably get some plant safe spray coat to seal the legos (poured silicone or an epoxy would surely work). I'm jealous, I need some legos! I just used our last baking sheet as a try...will have to buy more kitchen supplies.

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!