FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Trapped
I purchased one of the last seed packs from James Toska last year just before his unfortunate passing. Germinated Sept. 2015. I decided to give them a long summer, + pushed them with lights until this Spring. (100 watt CFL's.) First off, they were the best seeds I've ever had. They burst out of the ground. But there's about 8 or 9 that have what seems to me to be exceptional vigor. Or do they? I've only been in the game for about 2 yrs now, but I would have thought normal growth for an 11 month old VFT to be like an inch or less across. This one is better than 3" with inch+1/8 traps. I'd be real curious as to what everybody thinks. I presume the growth rate isn't 'heirloom' normal, but would you say it's rare? If so, maybe I'll name it: TOSKA G1. (If he didn't have a G1.)
Attachments:
Toska 002.JPG
Toska 002.JPG (798.37 KiB) Viewed 2038 times
By Trapped
Benurmanii wrote:Growth rate on seed grown vfts is always extremely variable. Of course, good conditions and access to nutrients helps too. I wouldn't doubt that media plays a part as well.
Yes, ok, but on the largest, do you have anything in your (or anybody else's) experience similar? Is it normal? Exceptional? 3 inches plus across with 1+1/8" traps in eleven months?
By Trapped
Smooter80 wrote:You've grown VFTs from see before so you know it's not "normal". If your seeds have good genetics, with ideal conditions and regular feedings it can be done.

Here is a link on how to grow VFTs to flowering size in 8 months.

http://www.flytrapcare.com/feed-a-venus-fly-trap
Thanks for the info! That's interesting about the bloodworms. Yeah, I didn't do anything to these but give it light + water. In Spring I set them out where they could get all food they could catch. There HAS been an inordinate amount of flying insects here, (Northeast Missouri,) this year. More than I recall in previous years. I wish the fricken' mosquito's were attracted to them. you can't walk outside without dousing yourself. It was a mixed bag of seeds. He said, Dingley giant, Big vigorous, Big mouth, etc. I assumed I got lucky on the genetics, but the growth rate on that big one freaked me out. I just re potted it.
Attachments:
flytraps 003.JPG
flytraps 003.JPG (725.28 KiB) Viewed 1906 times
Last edited by Trapped on Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By katya_dog1
If that seedling was not fed, you are correct, that is exceptional for an 11 month old. My non-fed year olds (w/ dormancy) barely approach 2 inches across, with traps about .5 in. Of course, they get the passing insect, but nothing so nutrient-dense as bloodworms.

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!