FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Multiverse172
Hello guys! I have just recently reppotted a nepenthese ventricosa. I have 2 questions. Is pure spahgnum moss a good media? Also is this enough lighting? (Picture below or above)
Attachments:
Is this enough
Is this enough
IMG_1507.JPG (570.06 KiB) Viewed 1530 times
Last edited by Multiverse172 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By cpman
Normally people dont pot nepenthes in just peat and perlite as its too dense and doesnt provide enough air to the roots. Sometimes I use peat with a much larger ratio of perlite but in my conditions plants dry out very quickly so I wouldnt recommend it. That mix looks too dense for my taste. As for light we need to know in what kind of windowsill its in. North, south? And how many hours of light it gets. If your plant starts to pitcher then its definetly getting enough light.
cpman liked this
By Multiverse172
"Normally people dont pot nepenthes in just peat and perlite as its too dense and doesnt provide enough air to the roots. Sometimes I use peat with a much larger ratio of perlite but in my conditions plants dry out very quickly so I wouldnt recommend it. That mix looks too dense for my taste. As for light we need to know in what kind of windowsill its in. North, south? And how many hours of light it gets. If your plant starts to pitcher then its definetly getting enough light."

The window is facing south east. It gets about 3 hours of bright light. I have replaced the soil with spahgnum moss? Do you think this will work?
Attachments:
IMG_1506.JPG
IMG_1506.JPG (495.03 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
By cpman
Sphagnum and perlite would have been a better mix but thats fine, ventricosa is a hardy species. Leave it be now. The lighting sounds pretty good. I see pitchers inflating so thats a sign of enough light.
N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!