FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Venus_Girl
Hi there!

I just placed my first order from the FlyTrap store. I am trying to delve into VFTs again for the first time since Jr. High (I'm ashamed to say I think I accidentally killed my first plant through lack of knowledge). However, I'm going to try again. I selected a "Starter, potted" FTS Archangel.

Now.. what I'm wondering is.. I know VFTs can grow in almost any kind of pot and be happy but.. are the pots that the flytrap store uses ideal? Or should I go ahead and repot (and if so how soon?) I want to have my starter in perfect / ideal conditions, so I want to make sure that if FTS uses potting options that are more cost effective to ship or what not that I know this and go ahead and order a better pot set up.

Thoughts?
By Smooter80
Their pots are fine and come with fresh, quality LFSM. I would leave them alone for at least a year or two. IMO, once in a while the FTS LFSM comes a bit tight around the crown and needs to be loosened a bit.
By Branmuffin
Keep it in the pot for a year or two, the pots are a good size but if your plant divides and becomes mature after a few years it will be good to move up to a new pot.
By Matt
Smooter80 wrote:Their pots are fine and come with fresh, quality LFSM. I would leave them alone for at least a year or two. IMO, once in a while the FTS LFSM comes a bit tight around the crown and needs to be loosened a bit.
Branmuffin wrote:Keep it in the pot for a year or two, the pots are a good size but if your plant divides and becomes mature after a few years it will be good to move up to a new pot.
I agree with Smooter and Branmuffin. The FTS pots are more than sufficient for growing healthy plants and they come with fresh New Zealand long fiber sphagnum so the plants won't need to be repotted for at least a year.

They certainly aren't "ideal" though, because an "ideal" pot would be the largest and deepest pot you could find. The larger and deeper the pot, the more stable the temperature and moisture levels will stay. For my personal collection, I use very large insulated pots (10" and 12"). Those are sufficiently large to provide very good growing conditions. Ideal? Perhaps not because a 15" pot would be better. And a 20" pot, even better...you get the idea :)
By Leah
Wanted to add, that if you ever want to re-pot our (FlytrapStore) plants, definitely wait at least a month, because they've been freshly cleaned and potted, and then shipped in a dark box, and are now in a new environment, so will presumably be pretty stressed if after all that you then unpot and repot them right after receiving them. They're always very healthy, though, so will be fine if you just give them an adjustment period before re-potting. :)
By xr280xr
I usually leave them for a few months and then re-pot. They don't have good enough drainage and are packed a little too tightly for my habits & preference.

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

S. flava or a hybrid

Advice On Using Pool

I'd just use the pools as giant saucers.

Is the pot draining? What water are you using? Wha[…]

What on earth is this?

Looks a lot like springtails to me. Other possibil[…]

What’s happening

Ok so I went looking again today and noticed a sid[…]

All three of those are available in the seed bank[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!