FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By pelagia_brown
So yesterday after one 1 year of wanting it, I got my first Venus flytrap (her name is Michelle) but in an extremely small pot. I researched online so I decided to repot it cause I couldn't even water it. I gave her some baby mealworms and bought a new pot. Not too big. 15×12 cm. The soil I used was a peat-perlite mix and some spagnum moss. She has around 10 traps. I fed like 3 traps or so but all the other traps accidentally closed in that box I bought her in on the way home. :( I used only distilled water and I gave her some sunlight (not direct sunlight) but today the plant seems a little off..I don't know. Did I do anything wrong? How can I help her?
By riveraXVX
I'd not feed it immediately after getting it, if it were a hardware store or grocery store type flytrap indoors, repotting it from the tiny containers they are in is a good idea, the pot 6" or deeper is typically good - which sounds like you are good there. what type of material is the pot? also on the peat/spagnum mix additive/fertilizer free correct?

photos of plant as it is never hurt either so folks can take a look!

most people will say not to feed a new to you flytrap for a week or two at least to let it acclimate to its new conditions.

filtered light starting out is good, increase the full sunlight over the course of a week or two outdoors vs indoors? and watering techniques will vary depending on location
By pelagia_brown
Thank you a lot for your reply. When the traps open again I won't feed it for the next week. The mix is not free of all those, I couldn't find anywhere here in Greece but the store told me that it will be fine. What do you think? The pot is plastic.
By pelagia_brown
The fertilizer is only 0,18 % in all the bag (20 lt) but I have lond fiber spagnum moss for my terrariums and I will cut it into smaller pieces and then repot Michelle. Thank you both very much.
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!