FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Fishkeeper
My plants are in front of a south-facing window, but they aren't getting enough light, so I've ordered a grow light to put above them.
I got this https://www.amazon.com/Sunblaster-Outpu ... op?ie=UTF8 and a reflector for above it, and I intend to put it barely 6" above the flytraps to maximize how much light they get out of it. Do I need to acclimate them at all, maybe putting the light a bit further above, or will they be fine if I just put it at the final distance right away?
By boarderlib
If you don't care about picking dead away, then throw them under there, they'll adapt. If you want them to look pristine the whole time then start it higher and work it down slowly. Either way they'll adapt. This is based on the fact they'll still be in the windowsill just with an added light.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By Fishkeeper
I put the light about 4-5" above them, partly because I don't have any good way to hang it further above, partly because I want to get them started on growing healthy leaves as soon as possible. Hopefully they do better now- they haven't been dying, but they were throwing out really long leaves with small traps, so not good.
By boarderlib
The light can only help in the long run, as that'll be a more stable light source than the sun. This is the first day I've seen the sun here in almost a week. It has been cold, rainy and overcast here.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By Fishkeeper
I live in Texas, so we usually have plenty of sun, but we had an entire month and a half of almost constant clouds, and the sun still isn't out all that often.
I chose a light that I think would be enough to grow flytraps on its own, so hopefully it and the sunlight together will be enough to get me some nice, robust flytraps.

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!