FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Max
what are some good insects to feed it? Are woodlice or woodlouse good? thats pretty much all that i can find...
Any good ideas on how to catch flies?
By Adam
use a glass to catch a fly. If you do it slowly, they don't see it coming.
By NZL
There are only two things to take into account to decide what insects to feed the VFT.
1) the insect has to be alive
2) the size of the insect must allow for the trap to completely close, but mustn't allow the insect to escape between the teeth of the trap.
By Max
also, can you overfeed your flytrap? cause on expertvillage they said you can feed it as many times as you want as long as there are traps open...
What do you think? I know that they dont need insects to survive, but i just dont want to over feed and kill it if thats possible
By Matt
I've heard that you can overfeed them and stress them by doing so, but I've not heard any personal accounts of this happening. In general, Venus fly traps do better if you just put them in a sunny spot and leave them alone. The more you mess with them, the more they are stressed. I've seen some of my plants catch insects in every open trap, so I don't think it would be a problem to feed them a lot if the plant is healthy.
By NZL
The overfeeding story comes from a different angle.
You CAN overfeed a VFT, only we would rather call it "underwater" a VFT.

When a VFT has a lot of traps with prey, it consumes a lot of water. It will need more water than usual to produce all of it's digestive fluids. So as long as you intensively feed your vft, make sure to intensively water it as well.
By Adam
You also need it to have a healthy plant with lots of energy stored. The temperature has to be good too. Otherwise, other bacteria, etc will digest the insect before the VFT does. This usually results in the trap turning black and rotting along with the food inside.
By Aging_Bourbon
the very best insect to feel a Venus Flytrap got's to be a Fly

allen,
Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

Drosera germination time

Hello everyone - I recently got some D. burmanni[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!