FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Hungry Plants
Has anyone imported seeds to the US? I have been all over the USDA website and now feel more lost than when I started.
By nimbulan
Yes the website and all information it provides is extremely confusing.

Basically to import seeds, you either need a phytosanitary certificate like you would need for plants, or a Small Seed Lots permit. This waives the phytosanitary certificate requirement for seed imports, as long as you stay within their definition of small seed lots (max 50 packets of seed, and max of either 50 seeds or 10 grams of seed per packet.) Seeds must be shipped with an invoice or seed list, a copy of the permit, and use a special shipping label to direct the seeds to a USDA inspection station. CP species listed under CITES Appendix I require two extra permits and a whole mess of paperwork on the shipper's side which private growers probably can't even obtain, even for seeds, so don't even bother trying.

You can sign up for an account and apply for the permit here (PPQ 587 is the applicable form for either small seed lots or live plants, but if you want both you have to do them separately): https://epermits.aphis.usda.gov/ePermits/index.cfm

Now the problem with all this is that I believe we are the ONLY country that requires a special shipping label for plant shipments, much less for seeds. Because of this, concerns about postal workers stealing packages, and the fact that seed shipments rarely get stopped at customs, I have yet to run into a foreign seller who will actually use the shipping labels for seeds.
nimbulan, nimbulan liked this
By Hungry Plants
Thanks. I found it and you need a lvl 2 account and the part of the site to get it is down. >:(

Wish I knew someone that had it. I really don't want to miss out on thees seed. The seed and the plants aren't easy to come by and the plants are fairly expensive.
By HUM562
i have tried purchasing seed from triffid nurseries from Europe and I received it without any problems and sometime i find nurseries from Thailand popular in growing nepenthes seeds through facebook and still have no problems with shipping. If you nepenthes seeds i can direct you the seller i buy nepenthes seeds from facebook?
HUM562 liked this
By Hungry Plants
HUM562 wrote:i have tried purchasing seed from triffid nurseries from Europe and I received it without any problems and sometime i find nurseries from Thailand popular in growing nepenthes seeds through facebook and still have no problems with shipping. If you nepenthes seeds i can direct you the seller i buy nepenthes seeds from facebook?
Thanks that would be great.
By HUM562
his page might be in thai just use google chrome to auto translate his page
Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!