FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By RyRyTS
Was wondering if anyone could help identify what pinguicula species I have here? New to the CP game so I'd like to learn.
Bought it a few weeks ago now from a garden centre. It's doing very well and isn't showing any signs of stopping flowering! Every time a flower begins to wilt another one appears. There's another in the centre right now waiting to come out.
Also does anyone know the score with this plant seeding, if it's flowering so much I'd like to collect the seeds from it but would like to know where and when they will appear, if at all. Many thanks!
Ryan ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Bob Beer
Could you take a direct "full frontal" of the flower? That would help identify it. It could be a moranensis or a hybrid. "Tina" is common in the trade.

To get seed, you need to pollinate the flowers, but most of the Mexican Pings are self-sterile; you need to pollinate with another clone. But you can try. Pollination is a little bit tricky because the stigma is on the little "curtain-like" organ that almost blocks the entrance to the flower, while the anthers (which produce the pollen) are behind it. If you google "pollinating Pinguicula flowers," you'll find lots of guides.

By RyRyTS
Bob Beer wrote:Could you take a direct "full frontal" of the flower? That would help identify it. It could be a moranensis or a hybrid. "Tina" is common in the trade.

To get seed, you need to pollinate the flowers, but most of the Mexican Pings are self-sterile; you need to pollinate with another clone. But you can try. Pollination is a little bit tricky because the stigma is on the little "curtain-like" organ that almost blocks the entrance to the flower, while the anthers (which produce the pollen) are behind it. If you google "pollinating Pinguicula flowers," you'll find lots of guides.

Image I never thought I'd be asked for a full frontal on a carnivorous plant forum..
but as asked for, here you go (;
I shall definitely have a look into that then! I take it the flower then transforms into a seed pod as it wilts away or?
Cheers for the response

By evenwind
Looks like "Tina" to me.
By RyRyTS
evenwind wrote:Looks like "Tina" to me.
thank you!

By evenwind
BTW, since you're new and all, have you discovered this resource?
http://cpphotofinder.com/Pinguicula.html
By RyRyTS
evenwind wrote:BTW, since you're new and all, have you discovered this resource?
http://cpphotofinder.com/Pinguicula.html
going off the colours on there, the picture of the Tina x is the same colour where as the Tina looks more pink. These are more lilac/purple?

By Bob Beer
It may be just the photographic conditions. I doubt you'd find "Tina" x emarginata in a garden center. Also, a hybrid with emarginata would generally have smaller flowers (because emarginata flowers are tiny). Yours looks like a classic "Tina."

By RyRyTS
Bob Beer wrote:It may be just the photographic conditions. I doubt you'd find "Tina" x emarginata in a garden center. Also, a hybrid with emarginata would generally have smaller flowers (because emarginata flowers are tiny). Yours looks like a classic "Tina."

fair enough! Classic Tina it is then
Yeah the garden centre are supplied by this company http://www.weilbrenner.de/index.php

I translated the section on there to English instead. Translation gave me a bit of a giggle...

By evenwind
"...In direct sunshine, it can get a sunglasses."
Yup. Makes sense.

Don't you love Google translate? :mrgreen:
By Bob Beer
Hahaha...I work as a translator from Turkish to English, and sometimes have to edit bad translations; I love this stuff. :-)) It reminds me of the character "Herr Lipp" on League if Gentlemen.

By RyRyTS
evenwind wrote:"...In direct sunshine, it can get a sunglasses."
Yup. Makes sense.

Don't you love Google translate? :mrgreen:
kinda intrigued to see it develop a pair of sunglasses haha

Last edited by RyRyTS on Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
By RyRyTS
Bob Beer wrote:Hahaha...I work as a translator from Turkish to English, and sometimes have to edit bad translations; I love this stuff. :-)) It reminds me of the character "Herr Lipp" on League if Gentlemen.

hahaha Image

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You might want to try searching for online plant s[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!