FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss fertilization techniques here. For advanced growers only!

Moderator: Matt

By cpbobby
during the winter I root fert nepenthes on and off with 7.75-2.5-2.5 or 30-10-10 diluted to quarter strength either once or twice a month then a month break to wash em out. However I was culturing flightless fruitflies until it was contaminated by a native fruit fly. There is no comparison as to which is more effective but I am looking to culture something bigger this year bc my collection is larger in size and quantity and the job would be tedious at best.

I want something I can keep going on my own like the flies.....except bigger of course.

suggestions?
By Wikiwakawakawee
You could try isopods(Pill bugs) they're fairly easy to breed and don't stink(like crickets), but I just don't know how "nutritional" they are for pitcher plants. I didn't even mean to breed them, I just got some soil from the garden, to put into a seed starting greenhouse, and I noticed about 3 or 4 were in the soil that I used. When I took out the plants, I found hundreds of them in the soil, and I just returned them to the garden.
By cpbobby
After a little further digging.......it seems the phoenix worms are very inexpensive......$6 for 100 of them....that cheap I will not even bother culturing them...depending on how long each one last I am thinking I can just buy a few, freeze and thaw as needed.

thanx for the input peeps.
Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!