FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By DesertPat
I'm growing from seed once again this season and have had good luck in the past. The other day I was checking on my seeds and accidentally put the covered container in a spot which got full sun the next day. I checked temperature with a thermal gun when I noticed what I had done, they were at 110 degrees. Does anyone know what temperature vft seeds can tolerate? They've only been planted for 2 weeks today so I can't say whether they're still viable or not, however I'm hopeful they will still germinate. Just looking for y'alls thoughts on this and hopefully serving as an example of what not to do.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Last edited by DesertPat on Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Shadowtski
Move them to an area where they get morning and evening sun, midday open shade.

I think there's a pretty fair chance the seeds will be OK.

And if they don't germinate in 4 weeks, request a package of VFT seeds from our seedbank. That's why it's there.

Good growing,
Mike
Shadowtski liked this
By DesertPat
Shadowtski wrote:Move them to an area where they get morning and evening sun, midday open shade.

I think there's a pretty fair chance the seeds will be OK.

And if they don't germinate in 4 weeks, request a package of VFT seeds from our seedbank. That's why it's there.

Good growing,
Mike
Thanks for the thoughts Mike. I've been keeping them where they get morning sun but I just had a brain fart that day. I'm not too horribly worried about it but I'd rather not consider myself a murderer. Image Maybe I'll be using the seedbank again sooner than expected.

By nimbulan
I've been told that temps in the 90's can kill VFT seeds, and my experience the one time I tried supports that. BUT I don't know how long the seeds need to be exposed to high temperatures to be problematic. Hopefully you're in the clear if they were only exposed to those temperatures for a short time.
By DesertPat
nimbulan wrote:I've been told that temps in the 90's can kill VFT seeds, and my experience the one time I tried supports that. BUT I don't know how long the seeds need to be exposed to high temperatures to be problematic. Hopefully you're in the clear if they were only exposed to those temperatures for a short time.
They were that hot for about 2-3 hours I think.

As far as 90s, I've kept my seeds outside in past years with temperatures around 95 degrees in the afternoon and have always had high germination rates. I wonder if your seeds got mold when you tried growing?

By nimbulan
hobbit1313 wrote: As far as 90s, I've kept my seeds outside in past years with temperatures around 95 degrees in the afternoon and have always had high germination rates. I wonder if your seeds got mold when you tried growing?

I'm pretty sure it's the soil temperature that matters, and that can be much cooler than the air temperature. In my case I was using bottom heat and measuring the air temperature, not realizing that the soil temperature was significantly higher with that type of setup.
By DesertPat
nimbulan wrote:
hobbit1313 wrote: As far as 90s, I've kept my seeds outside in past years with temperatures around 95 degrees in the afternoon and have always had high germination rates. I wonder if your seeds got mold when you tried growing?

I'm pretty sure it's the soil temperature that matters, and that can be much cooler than the air temperature. In my case I was using bottom heat and measuring the air temperature, not realizing that the soil temperature was significantly higher with that type of setup.
That makes sense. Any idea how hot the soil got with that setup? I hope it was more than 110 degrees Image

By DesertPat
Update for the record. It has been 4 weeks to the day since sowing and I currently have 3 of 20 seeds germinated (15%). I've had much better success with germination in the past using the same technique minus obscenely high temperatures, so it seems that 110°F for even a short time does hurt their chances though I'm hopeful many more will poke their heads out soon!

Patrick
Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You might want to try searching for online plant s[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!