FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By tannerm
How is this different than any other ceph? All ceph cultivars are practically the same, and vary based on grow conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Leathal_Traps
tannerm wrote:How is this different than any other ceph? All ceph cultivars are practically the same, and vary based on grow conditions.

Well the name itself says it. The pitchers are more squat than your typical ceph. And I do agree that most ceph cultivars are practically indistinguishable from each other, but squat is an exception. The shape is stable and very different from a typical ceph, making it easy to distinguish even without a label.
Leathal_Traps liked this
By tannerm
Leathal_Traps wrote:
tannerm wrote:How is this different than any other ceph? All ceph cultivars are practically the same, and vary based on grow conditions.

Well the name itself says it. The pitchers are more squat than your typical ceph. And I do agree that most ceph cultivars are practically indistinguishable from each other, but squat is an exception. The shape is stable and very different from a typical ceph, making it easy to distinguish even without a label.
Hmmm. The pictures I found of it online look practically indistinguishable. Maybe I'd need to see a comparison, it's hard to tell without anything to use as a reference.

By tannerm
hollyhock wrote:Tannerm ... you're kidding right?? :roll:
Well I guess your Eden black is just like any ole typical... :lol:
I mean, it basically is. You can achieve the same coloration as EB with LEDs & individuals without intense lighting who have EBs have noted that they don't have the darker coloration. Calling Nauz....

By Benurmanii
There are genetic variations between seedlings. You can have a unique plants. If people deem it worthy, it becomes a cultivar. I believe that color is a lot more easily influenced by conditions than shape, which is why there is more controversy over Eden Black and not some cultivars like 'Squat' and 'Big Boy' (not sure if that one is officially registered).
Benurmanii liked this
By hollyhock
Alvin 415 wrote:I also question different color cultivars. However, the difference of pitcher shape on Squats is obvious.

Later, I'll try to post a picture of a Squat pitcher next to a non-Squat pitcher for comparison.

Thanks!
Great...Alvin415 I can't wait to see your plant. Makes mine really look like a pip speak squat. Well someday.. :D
hollyhock liked this
By Alvin 415
hollyhock wrote:Alvin 415 wrote:I also question different color cultivars. However, the difference of pitcher shape on Squats is obvious.

Later, I'll try to post a picture of a Squat pitcher next to a non-Squat pitcher for comparison.

Thanks!

Great...Alvin415 I can't wait to see your plant. Makes mine really look like a pip speak squat. Well someday..
I should find a non-Squat pitcher and a Squat pitcher with similar size lids. That way, the comparison of pitcher shapes will be fair.
By tannerm
Alvin 415 wrote:
hollyhock wrote:Alvin 415 wrote:I also question different color cultivars. However, the difference of pitcher shape on Squats is obvious.

Thanks!

Great...Alvin415 I can't wait to see your plant. Makes mine really look like a pip speak squat. Well someday..
I should find a non-Squat pitcher and a Squat pitcher with similar size lids. That way, the comparison of pitcher shapes will be fair.
Please do because all the pictures online suck. Haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By Alvin 415
Haha, I can't guarantee my photos won't also suck. I only had 5 minutes to quickly take pics before needing to head out for dinner.

Typical on the left. Squat on the right. Image

Another pic of Squat. The best way I can describe the pitchers is "tubbier."

Another pic of a Typical. More long than tubby.

Hope this helps!

Alvin 415, Alvin 415 liked this

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!