FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By HuxTraps
Hello fellow fly trappers,
And pretty new to this hobby and was wondering how much of this dying trap should I trim off?
ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By tothkonrad33
I would wait a few days until it becomes completely black, because cutting into live tissue, even if done accidentally, can harm the plant. Then, you can just pull it off, but be careful, since traps still remain attached to the rhizome for a while, so don't be aggressive.

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk
tothkonrad33 liked this
By Matt
I agree with tothkonrad33. Leave it for now. We always leave blackening leaves on until they become completely black and dry. As the leaf dies, the plant reabsorbs nutrients and fluid from the tissues that gives the rest of the plant a boost. Once it's completely dead and dry and comes off with an easy tug is when we remove leaves.
By HuxTraps
Tothkonrad33 and Matt, Thanks for the answers. It's so good to have these forums to get answers from the experts. It's also cool to know why to do these things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By xr280xr
Matt wrote: As the leaf dies, the plant reabsorbs nutrients and fluid from the tissues that gives the rest of the plant a boost.
I've heard this before. Any chance you can cite a source? I'm not doubting you, but I'd like to read more about it.
By Matt
xr280xr wrote:I've heard this before. Any chance you can cite a source? I'm not doubting you, but I'd like to read more about it.
I'm citing my own personal observation :D

I don't think I've ever read it anywhere. I've just noticed the correlation over the last 10 years or so of growing and observing tens of thousands of flytraps.
Matt liked this
By xr280xr
Matt wrote:I'm citing my own personal observation :D

I don't think I've ever read it anywhere. I've just noticed the correlation over the last 10 years or so of growing and observing tens of thousands of flytraps.
Fair enough, very observant!
edman007 wrote:Google "leaf senescence", This seems to provides a few details, but basically before a leaf dies it breaks down what it can and pulls the nutrients out, this is why the leafs turn colors as they die (get yellowish).
Awesome, thanks!
Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!