FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Jimmy1212
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:You are rinsing to get all the salts/minerals out of the soil because if you don't it will kill your plants. The perlite stays in the soil just fine. If it separates any then after you squeeze out the water the last time just mix it all up with your hands.
Ok thanks and what about what i said about if i get say 5 liters of peat moss and 5 liters of perlite and mix it together to get 10 liters of potting soil and its 50 50. would that work?
By KategoricalKarnivore
You said you are making a bog? Here's a pic of mine. It's 50/50 peat/perlite. It took a lot of rinsing. My arms were burning by the time I finished.
Attachments:
IMG_1801.JPG
IMG_1801.JPG (1.15 MiB) Viewed 2198 times
By Jimmy1212
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:You said you are making a bog? Here's a pic of mine. It's 50/50 peat/perlite. It took a lot of rinsing. My arms were burning by the time I finished.
Why were you arms burning and it just looks like stones not peat moss or perlite. Did you put stones ontop? It looks good though :D
Last edited by Jimmy1212 on Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Jimmy1212
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:You said you are making a bog? Here's a pic of mine. It's 50/50 peat/perlite. It took a lot of rinsing. My arms were burning by the time I finished.
Also I've seen people like hydrate the peat moss or something like that before adding perlite and i dont think im talking about rinsing the potting mix thing?
By KategoricalKarnivore
My arms were burning because it took a couple of hours to rinse the soil. That's a lot of mixing and squeezing. The gravel is just a top dressing. It's only half an inch or so deep.
Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!