FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By lauf
Hello, everyone.

I'm new to the Venus Flytrap. I've been reading about them for the past weeks and I've documented myself a lot about their care. Today, after thinking for a while and taking into account it's a huge responsibility, I finally bought myself one. The problem is, I'm really not sure how do I know if the humidity of the substrate is appropriate. I feel like all the reading was useless...
I really like this plant and I want to take care of it, for it's fascinating and a wonderful work of nature. Forgive my incompetence, but I really need help. I'll appreciate any advice you give me. I don't want my Venus Flytrap to perish soon. Please, help.

NOTE: I live in a humid place (The Andes, in Colombia).
By Shadowtski
Hi there! Welcome to the forum.

When your FlyTrap is in active growth, Spring, Summer, and Fall, keep the pot moist. Most people put a saucer or tray under the pot and keep 1/4 inch to an inch of water in it. When your plant is dormant in Winter, keep the soil mix a little drier.

Matt, the Admin here has some basic grow info here: Basic Care

The forum has a search function. If you can think of a question, it's probably been asked before. But look around and welcome to the community.

Good growing,
Mike
By habber
In the winter if you're plants are in peat touch the soil if sum sticks to you're finger its wet enough if non sticks give them water.just dont let them dry out and in the summer just keep them in a tray of water although everyone has different techniques this works for me

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk
By Adelaide
Welcome to the forum. You will find that experience will serve you better than research. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, and don't give up if you fail!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
By Big-Jack
I tried keeping my plants in a tray of water and ended up losing some due to root rot. Now I go by the weight method. If I pick up the pot and it feels like it is getting light I give it water. If it still feels heavy I let it go for a spell (how long depends on the season and weather) until it gets lighter.
By David F
Benurmanii wrote:I let my VFT sit in the same amount, if not more water during winter. I will even let it freeze with water in the tray. I think a few people who did not have good conditions for VFTs proprieted the myth that less water is better during dormancy.

This, fact, is not a myth. Flytraps are incredibly vulnerable to rot during winter. In their native habitat their dormancies are usually less severe than what we submit them too-- stagnation, cold/freezing, etc. Less water will be better for them in cultivation. Especially if they are saturated in water.

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!