FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By blucksy
Hello!

I was wondering if there are any ways to get a drop with a little bit of a budget. I have read into water chillers but feel that the invenstment is not worth the drop. Lately, my nepenthes edwardsiana has been growing slowly and my rajah loses pitchers every time a new one comes and frankly I am a little concerned considering that it dies from the leaf first.

I would like to know how you indoor growers can get a drop for some more demanding species because right now my temps go from 75-80 days to 65-70 nights.

p.s I may consider getting a wine chiller but feel it may be wayyy to expensive.

Thanks in advanced.
By Benurmanii
Edwardsiana in general will grow slowly, regardless of temps. I know someone on the FB groups who grows beautiful edwardsiana with temps ranging from the low 80s days to mid 60s nights. It is concerning that rajah is loosing pitchers. As far as I know, the only people who really get nightly temp drops to work indoors either have a very cool basement, a wine chiller or chest freezer, or open their windows at night. I was looking into peltier cooling because I do not get much of a temp drop during the summer in my basement, but after a month of researching it I gave up and decided to just bite the bullet during July and August.
By blucksy
Benurmanii wrote:Edwardsiana in general will grow slowly, regardless of temps. I know someone on the FB groups who grows beautiful edwardsiana with temps ranging from the low 80s days to mid 60s nights. It is concerning that rajah is loosing pitchers. As far as I know, the only people who really get nightly temp drops to work indoors either have a very cool basement, a wine chiller or chest freezer, or open their windows at night. I was looking into peltier cooling because I do not get much of a temp drop during the summer in my basement, but after a month of researching it I gave up and decided to just bite the bullet during July and August.
I will update if my next leaf loses pitchers. The rajah grows pretty fast however, and would love to know a little more about the wine chiller. Not to mention I will be opening my windows at night once the temp goes above 60 in nyc.
blucksy liked this
By Nauz
The problem is peltier and that small wine chiller are not gonna be able to chill the space you probably need for the plant. The best thing to think about is long term setting for the plant. Some people build chambers out of this little display freezers/fridges. It's well insulated, has an efficient cooling system that's built into the boxes and has a fan inside to blow cool air around. My advice currently is to look into acquiring one for a long term goal of keeping plants that need those temp drops. Other then that I can say possibly those portable A/C Units with exhaust tubing that attaches to the window for heat dissipation that is something to look into. The portable evaporative units don't get a space cool enough in my opinion.
By Benurmanii
Ah I always thought wine chillers were those display freezers. I'm actually looking into info similar to that. I need to find a way to give my P. elongata days in the low 70s high 60s, and nights mid to high 30s, or at least low 40s.
By blucksy
Nauz wrote:The problem is peltier and that small wine chiller are not gonna be able to chill the space you probably need for the plant. The best thing to think about is long term setting for the plant. Some people build chambers out of this little display freezers/fridges. It's well insulated, has an efficient cooling system that's built into the boxes and has a fan inside to blow cool air around. My advice currently is to look into acquiring one for a long term goal of keeping plants that need those temp drops. Other then that I can say possibly those portable A/C Units with exhaust tubing that attaches to the window for heat dissipation that is something to look into. The portable evaporative units don't get a space cool enough in my opinion.
Unfortunately I currently do not have the space to use being a high school. Once I am out of college I will consider my options. Thank you though!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!