FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Allison
Hi, I'm Allison from USA. Nice to meet all of you! I live in NC-- a bit inland from the native region of the Venus Fly Trap but with similar heat and humidity at times. I bought two small VFTs about a month ago, they're still in 2-inch pots (so small!) in what looks like plain peat moss-- but I've insulated the pots against the harsh sun inside cut styrofoam cups. They're sitting in somewhat dappled / almost full western sunlight behind my rose bush right now. They drink from the bottom of their pots from a tray of distilled water filled with glass rocks. (The rocks are there so I can elevate the pots out of the puddle when need be while still having the humidity surround them.) The plants also receive light rain as they are only partially under cover of a porch roof.

They seem in good health despite their small pots. I'm careful not to drown them too much and I've slowly moved them into brighter sunlight over the weeks. I've cut the flower stalks away, trimmed the black twice, and they're shooting up new growth. They're eating flies regularly, on their own.

They're still in this cramped situation because I ran into one dead end after another trying to find the right supplies locally. I finally ordered the blended growing medium from FlytrapCare and now my shipment has just arrived! I'm excited to repot my plants and I know I have to rinse the growing medium thoroughly first, however, I have a question: I bought some long-fiber sphagnum moss as well, for the top of the new, larger planter and after searching the forum I'm still wondering.. should I rinse that, too, before laying it on top? Thanks! :mrgreen:

Edit: After further investigation, found a couple posts that recommend rinsing the LFS-- am I on the right track, then? So excited to get started!

Edit 2: Also, because these plants are so actively growing and eating (and because lurking on this site has alerted me to this) I'm inclined to carefully transplant them with their original inch or so of medium remaining around them so as not to disrupt them too much. Would you also advise this? 8-)
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!