FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By dmacka1989
G'day guys,

I am a newby having a go at cultivation. I don't have alot of options for plant placement so I use my windowsill which cops about 4-5 hours direct sunlight every day during spring and summer. I am currently growing a couple VFT, Utriculari, a Sarracenia Psiticiana and the one that has me most worried, Cephalotus. I water the plants via the tray beneath the pots by pouring demineralised water until it covers the white gravel (for humidity). I also give them all a couple of sprays over the top.

I'm not sure how they are all supposed to be looking right now, but its spring and average temps are 24 C daytime and as low as 10 during evening. Plants are potted in a mix of NZ Sphagnum and sand.

I have the Ceph potted in a large, white terracotta pot to assist with keeping roots cool, providing aeration and also aiding with humidity.

Please have a look and give me some pointers/feedback!ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
By Rammplins
I am unsure of Cephs' mineral tolerance, but terracotta can leach minerals into the soil and could cause you some problems. Also what kind of gravel is that? As most gravel will leach minerals for sure, and the Sundews and VFT's will definitely not like that. From the pictures though your ceph seems mostly healthy and has great color, but i'm no expert, a second opinion is recommended.
By nimbulan
Looks good. Just make sure those plants are getting enough light, especially for the flytrap. Don't worry about the clay pot - Cephs are pretty tolerant of it.
Perlite from Ebay

yeah it does look realllly sketchy on their websit[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!