FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By sunny-da-crab
Well, I just got a Venus fly trap from Bunnings and I have a few questions. Mostly about dormancy.
1. I left my VFT for about an hour as soon as I bought it and I found out that my sister had been feeding it small ants. I heard that you shouldn't feed the traps while in a state of dormancy... my sister fed almost all of them!
2. Is my plant dormant? It has some black leaves hanging around and is not very high. I'll post a picture.
3. There is some sliming stuff growing on my plant! I heard it was just algae and need not to be removed but idk... is it harmful? Is it even algae??
Please help.
Sunny
Attachments:
IMG_1217.JPG
IMG_1217.JPG (708.01 KiB) Viewed 729 times
By xr280xr
1. Deeply dormant plants usually do not have functioning traps so feeding is not usually an option. If they trap food, it's fine.

2. It looks like a dormant VFT. In harsh cold weather, it might keep even less traps, but in milder weather it would look like yours.

3. You don't want anything slimy on the leaves of your plant. Slime is normally a sign that it's staying too wet. In small containers, like yours appears to be (though it's hard to tell), it can be difficult to keep it dryer without drying out completely, especially with LFS.

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!