FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By twitterglitter
I have 6 nepenthes growing on a south facing window in my kitchen. I watered them on Monday and as I was checking them Tuesday afternoon I noticed some tiny bugs on the shelf where the pot was sitting. It got me suspicious so i lifted the other pots and found them under another pot. These things are tiny like specks of dust and move quickly. If I lift a pot and tap it on the shelf more bugs come out. I don't see anything on the plants leaves or in the leaf joints, but the two affected plants have yellowing bottom leaves. Not sure if it is related since thay are old leaves. I hope the photos work. The first on is a larger tan bug, and the second is a smaller brown bug. Sorry about the quality, these things are tiny.
Any help would be much appreciated.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
By KategoricalKarnivore
The first one kind of looks like a springtail. If they jump around that's what it is. They are harmless. I can't tell what the other one is.
By twitterglitter
I thought the bigger ones were springtails too, but they won't jump. They just crawl around. The little darker bug is the same thing just half the size of the larger one. One things I have noticed is they try to hide from the light.
Thank you so much for your response! Now I hope they start jumping.

By twitterglitter
Thank you for your help. Now I know I have something else. Maybe someone else who has had the misfortune of a soil dwelling mystery bug will find this and shed some light.

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!