FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By thecritta
Hello there I am from Melbourne Australia and for some reason I have develop an obsessive fascination with these majestic plants.

I have built up quiet a collection so far I have had them all for about two months now the weather has been very hot and at times
very stormy I have not had a single plant die on me yet I water them almost every day for some strange reason the small sundews
appear to be growing like weeds but have not caught a single insect compared to the long leaf sundew which has caught heaps of
tiny insects.

I have noticed the tall pitcher plants seem to attract lots of cockroaches I must have at least ten dead cockroaches and the number of
victims keeps slowly climbing, I can tell when they have caught another cockroach because I can hear them scratching as they struggle to climb out against the downward pointing hairs, I guess it's better than having them crawling around the kitchen which really freak me out every time is see one crawling across the kitchen sink.

It's fun to look down the pitchers and watch them try to struggle and climb out knowing they will never ever escape.

Anyway here are the photo's of the collection I have so far.

thecritta liked this
By Mephiles
Mufasa wrote:where did you buy this one from?
If I had to guess, that looks like the same kind of tag for the unnamed Nepenthes sold at various Bunnings Warehouse's (It's like a 'Lowes' without the diversity). That really annoys me how the Sarracenia and Nepenthes sold there are all species incognita. I want to know what I'm buying! :cry:
thecritta wrote:I guess it's better than having them crawling around the kitchen which really freak me out every time is see one crawling across the kitchen sink.
Haha yes the rental we moved into has an almost identical problem. Roaches have been living somewhere inside the (conveniently...) built-in dishwasher in the kitchen since before we got here. Their freakn' massive!
By Mufasa
i was asking because i live in australia lol, i know what bunnings is, always kept an eye out for neps there, but never seen them, so i thought some other chain might be carrying it
By Mephiles
Oh true! Sorry, I noticed your location wasn't listed so I figured odds were you're in any other country :p. As for the plant the only other place I've seen them in is Big W, assuming the store in question has an adjoining greenhouse section, which isn't all of them. I actually got my first many years ago at a fortnightly rural town market where I lived, and later (or earlier?) I got a Sarracenia Rubra (ssp. something) from another similar market. Although a very unreliable way to get the cp's you actually want, you'll find that town markets are a good way of getting them bigger and (usually) healthier locally. Amazingly, all the ones I've seen sold this way are properly species-tagged! :o

I actually went down to my local Bunnings today thinking about your post and had a look at the Nepenthes. The plants themselves do indeed appear to be a splitting image of the photo (I'm guessing Ventricosa?), though the tag art is a little different. I know I've certainly seen it before so my money's on Big W.
By Mufasa
lol, funny story, i emailed a... somewhat local nursery (30 minutes away), asked if they sold any nepenthes, they said they had some "pitcher plants" for $10

went there to take a look, the $10's were sarracenia, and the nepenthes they had had triffid park labels and were priced at around $80+ (most expencive nep on triffid parks website is $30 from memory)
By Mephiles
Jeeze that sounds a little steep for anything not in N. Rajah's class, but I can't really call myself an authority on Nepenthes pricing. Was this a small family-owned nursery or a commercial chain? I've only looked at Triffid's retail pricing, but surely this local store could offer a better deal if they're buying wholesale...
Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Any ideas?

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!