FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Leo756
Well, I haven't posted anything here in months (sorry) but here in the northern hemisphere, there's definitely not much going on this time of year. Just thought I'd snap a few pics to share with you all though. It always seems ironic that my plants seem to develop their best coloration while they're completely dormant during the deadest part of winter. (Only four days left now until the solstice when the sun starts coming back up our way!) Seems fitting though that they've gotten so bright red and green just in time for Christmas! Hope everyone's having a great holiday season.
DSCF6425.jpg
DSCF6425.jpg (196.24 KiB) Viewed 2286 times
DSCF6426.jpg
DSCF6426.jpg (181.67 KiB) Viewed 2286 times
DSCF6427.jpg
DSCF6427.jpg (157 KiB) Viewed 2286 times
DSCF6435.jpg
DSCF6435.jpg (223.68 KiB) Viewed 2286 times
DSCF6436.jpg
DSCF6436.jpg (216.58 KiB) Viewed 2286 times
Leo756, Leo756, Leo756 liked this
By Leo756
Thanks, Matt. I barely even look at them this time of year. Just check on them briefly once a week or so to see if they need a drink of water.

BTW, this is the first time I've ever had so much bright green moss growing on top of the LFS. Is that the kind of carpet moss that you said was bad for them? Should I try removing it?
By Matt
Leo756 wrote:BTW, this is the first time I've ever had so much bright green moss growing on top of the LFS. Is that the kind of carpet moss that you said was bad for them? Should I try removing it?
Yeah, that's the stuff that always eventually starts growing. At first it doesn't have any negative effect on the plants, but eventually it will get so dense and thick that it chokes down on the growth point of the flytrap.

We usually keep an eye on pots like that, either trying to remove the moss by cutting it off with pruning shears. And they are the first ones to get repotted in the spring.
Matt liked this
By Leo756
Thanks, Matt. I was hoping to avoid repotting this spring, mostly due to finances since I have several large pots. Would it be okay to just remove the green moss and the top layer of LFS around the rhizomes and replace it with some new fresh LFS instead? That's a lot more feasible than refilling all of my pots again. My plants have been doing better than they used to and I didn't want to upset the apple cart by disturbing them too much if I didn't have to. It usually seems to take a whole year for them to recover from being totally uprooted and repotted.
By Matt
Leo756 wrote:Would it be okay to just remove the green moss and the top layer of LFS around the rhizomes and replace it with some new fresh LFS instead?
Yep, that works just fine too. Be sure to try to get all of the moss otherwise it will quickly grow back.
Matt liked this

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!