FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By fattytuna
I've been growing this Drosophyllum from seed in normal garden compost + perlite for half a year now. From some other accounts on the internet, the plant seems to be able to grow in a range of 'normal' (as opposed to strictly nutrient poor) soils and is naturally found in alkaline soils. It seems that it is able to tolerate a wide range of growth media.

This leads me to wonder if anybody has tried to grow it as a 'normal' in-the-ground garden plant. It would certainly be quite impressive specimen if allowed to grow large. I could conceivably imagine it looking quite natural in a cactus bed or perhaps a native Australian garden...
By fattytuna
Bob Beer wrote:Where are you doing this?
I'm located in Sydney, Australia. The plant has been growing outside all winter. Our winters are sunny, cool and dry. I also have a pot of other Drosophyllum plants growing in a terracotta pot in the standard peat-based CP media and both plants are similarly sized, so the media hasn't increased/decreased the growth rate. Unfortunately I don't have any spare plants to experiment with growing in the ground- maybe if i can keep them alive over summer, I'll get some seed to play with. ;)
By Bob Beer
Our climate (Seattle) is a cool Mediterranean climate. Cool wet winters and summers that tend to be quite dry. I’d worry most about the “in between” time when things are warming up but the weather is still wet. Yet I know some people here do grow it outside in pots. However every few years we get some really hard freezes that would probably finish it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not what you would expect...

One more bump here and I'll reveal the big secret![…]

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!