FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Dargon88
Hello Forum, i have a question about a grow light i found on Amazon and wanted to know before i bought it. So i can tell my venus flytrap and pitcher plant is just not getting enough sunlight here in New England because of the constant cloudy weather. So my question is, is this grow light good enough to grow both my venus flytrap and pitcher plant indoors?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HP ... ZVNQ9LP7N9
By erikHIplants
Dargon88 wrote:Hello Forum, i have a question about a grow light i found on Amazon and wanted to know before i bought it. So i can tell my venus flytrap and pitcher plant is just not getting enough sunlight here in New England because of the constant cloudy weather. So my question is, is this grow light good enough to grow both my venus flytrap and pitcher plant indoors?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HP ... ZVNQ9LP7N9
I use the taotronic bulb on my pitcher plants and it works well. I've had it for 9 months now with no issues running 14 hours a day. I plan on purchasing another one in the future.

I can't however vouch for VFTs as I grow none.
erikHIplants liked this
By Dargon88
well thank you for the input, i will try it for my pitcher plant. Now is this bulb good enough for my Venus Flytrap?
By tommyr
Flytraps and Sarracenia will not last long indoors. They are not houseplants. You are better off just growing tropical Sundews, butterworts and Nepenthes.
tommyr liked this
By Dargon88
It's not always sunny where I live and I can't give them days with direct sunlight, I wanted to know if that grow light would be enough for my Venus flytrap. Can anyone help me.
By Fishkeeper
It's worth a try.

However, if you want good color on indoor sarracenias and flytraps, you'll need something like this. They're meant to grow outside in full sun. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AKKUBDQ/re ... YybYYTBDY4

Honestly, you should put them outside. Even cloudy days outside are better than most grow lights.
By Dargon88
Well I like the idea of something like that but I just don't have the space for something like that. I do put them outside for like 4-6 hours of direct sunlight but wanted something to help with indoor growth as well. I saw that bulb and thought it was the right size for my small place I put them both.
By Fishkeeper
Don't move them in and out, that puts them under a lot of stress as they try to adapt to the shift in conditions every day. Put them outside and keep them outside.
Venus Flytraps come from North and South Carolina, Sarracenias come from much of the southern US, both are fine in less-than-beautiful weather. They'll need additional protection during winter, but they'll be fine until then.
By Dargon88
I will do as you say and keep them outside but I am just worried about the cold nights we get here in Massachusetts even during the summer time. Will they be alright at night outside?
By Fishkeeper
Unless the pot freezes solid and stays frozen solid, they'll be fine.
By boarderlib
These plants will tolerate 30°F over night without any real signs of issue. I've left mine out unprotected, and they were fine. The big problem is when it freezes over night and thaws during the day, then freezes over night and thaws during the day. This repeated cycle will take a toll on a fly trap.

I had my Megatraps to close to the freezer section in my fridge over the winter to the point it was a solid block of ice for at least two or three weeks. It showed no signs of being unhappy other than being etoliated.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By Dargon88
Ok so that question is answered, now what about the rain? Someday it just pours here and I don't want it to be over watered and drown. Any suggestions about that?
By boarderlib
Rain is beneficial to your plant. It cleans the plant, flushes the soil, and draws oxygen into the root zone. If you're keeping your pot in a tray or bowl with water. Pick a water level that is a little higher than you would normally keep it and drill a couple drain holes in the tray. Then you never have to worry about your pots getting flooded.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By Nick
I also completely remove my water trays if rain is expected for an extended period. It's difficult to overwater with rain since it is highly oxygenated which helps prevent anaerobic root rot but a tray may promote water logging and subsequent headaches. Additional drain holes help but leaving a plant in a tray after a rainstorm adds risk of issues. Most carnivorous plant media is highly absorbent so there is a lot more wiggle room with drying than folks consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!