FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By tannerm
I have a plastic greenhouse from Amazon and I want to cool it at night so I don't have to take my plants outside for their nightly temp drops. I've tried a few solutions to no avail and may end up trying to get an aquarium chiller to work (like this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HkMarXQcNco) but I'm not sure that it'll cool it enough. I need a drop of 10-15 degrees. Thoughts? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By cjpflaumer
I use a few ice packs around my Lowii. It's not the simplest since you have to put them there, but it works. Definitely gets at least 10 to 15 degree drop.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
By tannerm
Benurmanii wrote:Open the windows in the room after the lights turn off.
It's not a room, it's a large closet without windows.

By DeadlyCarnivore
Use a fan

Sent from my SM-G935V
Wishlist:
N. Jacquelineae
Byblis Aquatica
D. Fulva
D. coccicaulis
D. Ramentacea
N. Argentii
D. Ascendens
N. Ventricosa
By Benurmanii
DeadlyCarnivore wrote:Use a fan

Sent from my SM-G935V
Wishlist:
N. Jacquelineae
Byblis Aquatica
D. Fulva
D. coccicaulis
D. Ramentacea
N. Argentii
D. Ascendens
N. Ventricosa
Fans don't cool, they just move the air around. You may chop off a degree or two with a fan due to the evaporative cooling, but that is nowhere near enough to satisfy the required nightly temp drop.

If you can't open windows and you're trying to cool an area of a couple square feet, then your only realistic option is to get an air conditioner.
Last edited by Benurmanii on Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By tannerm
Benurmanii wrote:
DeadlyCarnivore wrote:Use a fan

Sent from my SM-G935V
Wishlist:
N. Jacquelineae
Byblis Aquatica
D. Fulva
D. coccicaulis
D. Ramentacea
N. Argentii
D. Ascendens
N. Ventricosa
Fans don't cool, they just move the air around. You may chop off a degree or two with a fan due to the evaporative cooling, but that is nowhere near enough to satisfy the required nightly temp drop.

If you can open windows and you're trying to cool an area of a couple square feet, then your only realistic option is to get an air conditioner.
I would get an air conditioner, but again, I have no way to vent it with it being in a closet.

By tannerm
Benurmanii wrote:can you just crack the door to the closet to exhaust the hot air produced by the ac?
I can leave the door to the closet fully open, but don't you think that would heat up the closet way too much?

By Benurmanii
tannerm wrote:
Benurmanii wrote:can you just crack the door to the closet to exhaust the hot air produced by the ac?
I can leave the door to the closet fully open, but don't you think that would heat up the closet way too much?

How so? Unless your closet it heavily insulated, it should be around the same temp as the rest of the house. If you are running a powerful enough AC, it should keep the general area where your grow tent is cooler while venting the hot air out of the closet. The hot air isn't going to move back into the close by itself very well unless something is pushing it back in.
By tannerm
Benurmanii wrote:
tannerm wrote:

How so? Unless your closet it heavily insulated, it should be around the same temp as the rest of the house. If you are running a powerful enough AC, it should keep the general area where your grow tent is cooler while venting the hot air out of the closet. The hot air isn't going to move back into the close by itself very well unless something is pushing it back in.
I thought you meant crack the door to vent it and that would be enough, not actually vent. But got it.

By tannerm
Okay, so I'm currently thinking this: https://m.lowes.com/pd/Frigidaire-5000- ... r/50342322

Hooked up to an inkbird temperature controller with the probe placed inside the greenhouse so that way it shuts off when desired range is reached and it doesn't chill them out.

I think that AC ah it will work because the controls are analog meaning you set them and as soon as power is supplied, it'll turn on

By Aozora
Not sure what its called in english, but literally translated from dutch its electric cooling box. Its a box with some cooling elements.

They are not expensive and should be able to cool down a closet.
Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!