FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By zoliky
Hello, I have a bag of perlite and I'm wondering if it's okay to run it through a screen and keep only the coarse perlite. By using only coarse perlite the soil will have problems taking up water? As far as I know the coarses the perlite the better for the plants. Of course I'm talking about mature plants, not seedlings. Any suggestions appreciated.
Attachments:
perlite.jpg
perlite.jpg (89.68 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
By zoliky
I noticed people saying that how well and bigger stuff grow in LFS, but last year when I decided to run the peat moss through a sieve and only use the larger chuncks, my plants not only grow much bigger but also looked more fit. Not to mention my sundews developed huge dews, something I didn't notice at the other pots with fine soil or LFS and same lighting conditions. So, I thought making the perlite a bit more coarse may help even more with aeration.
By steve booth
I too wouldn't worry about sieving it, but if you feel it is worthwhile give it a go. As far as the water take up is concerned the answer is no it wouldn't be a problem the peat will wick the water up as long as it is wet and teh perlite will retain it.
Cheers
Steve
steve booth liked this
Not what you would expect...

@andynorth, trust me. I did not tarry very long[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!