FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By squall
Hi guys,

I'm new to the boards, but I've been reading posts for over a year now. I've done a bit of searching, but I can't seem to find the answer to my problem.
I've weathered a flytrap over winter and he's come out of dormancy quite well.

When I took him out initially, all the leaves were a very dark green, but under the flourescent light I'm using, the new growth looks a little yellow. I want to sum up the facts quickly and see if anyone can give me a response.

1) Medium 100% peat
2) Water every 3-4 days depending on how dry the medium gets (tray method)
3) 16 hour photoperiod with a 42w CFL (daylight 6500k)
4) I had the light at 2 inches before... moved back to about 6 inches now as I was unsure if that was causing the yellowing.

The trap looks a little yellow, but the main telling point is the middle of the leaf has a darker green line than the edges of the leaves. Will post a picture soon.

If anyone could help I would appreciate it!
By squall
As you can see from the picture, the old traps from last fall are dying off (closed traps that you seE) and are being replaced by new traps (open ones that you see).

The open ones seem to have a different colour and the middle of the leaf appears darker than the edges.
Attachments:
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (141.24 KiB) Viewed 6493 times
By Veronis
Hey man, welcome.

It certainly doesn't have the look of a dying flytrap, especially with the way you say it's growing, so no need to worry.

A number of things jump out at me here, so bear with me on the 2000 questions. :mrgreen:

Have you seen new traps open in the past (last year) that looked different than the ones you're seeing now? Was the plant in the same conditions last year as it is now (out in the sun last year)?

What is in your potting mix (please be specific)? I can't tell how wet the media is, but flytraps do best if you only water when the soil is just barely damp. They will do poorly if the soil is kept too wet. Having media that's too wet can also cause root rot, which will leave you with little half-inch or shorter stubs for roots (adult roots are generally 4-8 inches long). Unchecked, this can kill a flytrap.

Did you repot it for Spring? If not, when was the last time it was repotted in new media/checked for pests?

What else is growing in that pot with the flytrap? I see something at 6 o'clock on the pic but I can't make out what it is.

This is not likely the main cause, but how old is that light bulb, and what brand? Fluorescent lights should be replaced annually for use with plants as they lose their initial power over time. Using an old light can cause visible health decline. Even though to you a year-old bulb may seem to be as bright as you remember, your plant can tell a difference.

Here's some additional info:
Soil: http://www.flytrapcare.com/media-soil-f ... traps.html
Water: http://www.flytrapcare.com/the-importan ... traps.html
Light: http://www.flytrapcare.com/the-importan ... traps.html
By squall
Thanks for the quick reply :)

I just got this flytrap mid last summer so I haven't seen what the spring growth would look like. In terms of being in the same conditions as last year, I'd have to say no - it was in a clear terrarium container which I removed.. and it was likely in some greenhouse.

My potting mix is 100% sphagnum peat moss. The media in this picture may look a little wet as I just watered the day before. I usually tray water until the top gets moist - is that too much water?

I did repot this spring into fresh media and rinsed off the roots - although I did not divide my plant. Would that cause any issue? - it likely has about 3 plants at this point.

I believe the little growth you see at 6 o'clock is some grass seed that seemed to have snuck into the potting mix (it was from a large bag). I'm just afraid to tug at it because I don't want to disturb the VFT roots.

The light bulb is brand new this year as this would be my first spring (the temps here at too low to keep outside in late feb/early march).

Does anyone think that the lack of green is due to lack of light? The lamp i'm using has two potential issues - the shade is frosted (not a metal) so that some of the light can escape through the shade and the light bulb is larger than the shade so some of it sticks out the top which could also cause potential light loss?
By Veronis
Not using a terrarium was a good idea. Flytraps do poorly long-term in terrariums, as CP terrariums are primarily meant for for tropicals/subtropicals.

Soil: Your soil mix is probably too wet for too long; the peat moss should be mixed with 50% silica sand or perlite. This helps tremendously with aeration and allows water to drain from the media better. Under lights, my flytraps sit in dried out water trays with damp soil. I don't water them again at all until the top of the media is almost starting to feel dryish, and the media about an inch down from the top is "just damp". Flytraps don't like to sit in soggy soil for extended periods; it's no good for them.

When I do water, I generally water at the tray, and about once every week or two I make sure to top-water to pull new air into the soil.

I would get some perlite, mix it with peat 50/50 (yes that's a lot of perlite), and repot one last time. Get that other plant out of there. Then start watering as I said above.

Not manually dividing your plant won't cause an issue, no.

Lack of light is a possibility. Can you show us a photo of the plant in relation to its light source (with pic of light source)? What you described will cause light loss. With a bulb like that, it should be open and either sideways or upside-down over the plant to maximize the light it can provide for the plant. A single 42W 6500K CFL is enough for one plant at 6 inches, but it needs the full intensity of such a light to be effective.

What kind of water are you giving it, and what brand is the light bulb? Lastly, what brand of peat moss are you using?
By squall
Thanks again for all your help!
I've put up two pictures to show you light distance from plant as well as how some light is escaping the lamp through the shade.

Would I cause some kind of transplant shock by repotting while the plant is awake? Would it survive?

I'm giving the trap pure distilled water, the bulb is Philips, the brand of peat moss.. not sure right now as I don't have the bag. Can confirm in a day or so.

I really do appreciate the help.. I'm quite fond of my plant and want him to live :)
Attachments:
photo light 2.jpg
photo light 2.jpg (64.27 KiB) Viewed 6437 times
photo light.jpg
photo light.jpg (68.75 KiB) Viewed 6437 times
By Veronis
Okay, Phillips is a good brand. Maybe the picture is just dark but the light doesn't look like it's emitting as much as a 42W would. Is the bulb 42 watts (~150W equivalent), or ~11ish watts (42W equivalent)?

Heyyy wait is that a ceramic pot/tray?

If so, you need to get a never-before-used plastic pot with drainage holes, and a plastic water tray. Taller pots are better than wider ones. For yours, anywhere between 5"-10" tall would be fine.

If the pot is plastic - no worries, but get a plastic water tray.

If it's ceramic - some ceramic pots are okay, but most leech minerals into the soil that are poisonous to flytraps. If that one is ceramic, it looks a lot like one of the ones that isn't okay. It could also explain the yellowing.

Either way, repot ASAP using distilled water to wash the flytrap (have two or three gallons on-hand). 50/50 peat/washed perlite or 50/50 peat/washed silica sand, use distilled water to wash the perlite or sand; discard the wash water. Be careful with the flytrap's roots. Check for root rot and pests - those roots should be at least 4-5".

This post has videos on repotting.

http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/how-t ... ml#p133068

Once repotted, just follow the care instructions in my previous replies. Your light cycle is good at 16 hours, and you should be able to put that light at 4" and be fine. I keep mine about 6" from a 125W/700W equiv fluorescent CFL and none of them burn.

Edit: I don't think that small amount of light reflection is worth the bother. Much of the light is passing through the paper, and it's blocking air flow.

You're welcome. Good luck man
By squall
The picture is just a little dark.. it's quite bright. Will replace the lamp with a metallic shade to reflect more light...

You are correct, the pot is ceramic :( I had no idea! I will go to the store first thing tomorrow morning to get a new pot and repot with 50/50 peat and perlite. I really hope he survives the transplant. I'm sure he will die back quite a bit, but if he's healthy after it will be worth it.

I really appreciate your help.. will post an update to let you know the outcome. :|
Drosera germination time

I know I got the "Redrum" seeds from th[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!