FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By erikHIplants
So my first ceph got mad at me and decided to die back to its roots. Luckily for me I had clonex rooting gel on hand and dipped what was left of it and repotted it...
The rebirth
The rebirth
IMG_7034.JPG (264.46 KiB) Viewed 3256 times
It is now doing the rebirth! :lol:

But during that time frame I went into a ceph frenzy and also acquired a typical from the flytrap store and a Brewer's red.
FTS ceph
FTS ceph
IMG_7013.JPG (580.4 KiB) Viewed 3256 times
Brewer's Red
Brewer's Red
IMG_7033.JPG (232.73 KiB) Viewed 3256 times
Hoping for smooth sailing here on out!
By erikHIplants
Smooter80 wrote:Are you bagging your new Cephs?
No, I think I overly disturbed the roots on the first ceph during repot. Won't make that mistake again.

I think my ambient humidity (experiencing 64-78% over the past few weeks) should be okay?

You see what happens when you have ceph seeds waiting in the fridge smoot :lol:
By Smooter80
It's getting close to time try my seeds out. It's been a long wait.

For newly shipped Cephs 100% humidity has really helped mine. It what Hollyhock and Nancy had me do with mine and they are NEVER wrong. ;)

It will help with pitcher loss and to rehydrate the plants. I was also instructed to add some water to the pitchers after shipping and to soak the roots overnight in diluted Trichoderma and/or Superthrive. So far I can't argue with the result I'm getting.

PS. Your first Ceph was a difficult one to start with. Personally I wouldn't sell a plant in that condition. It may make a strong comeback though.
Smooter80 liked this
By erikHIplants
Smooter80 wrote:It's getting close to time try my seeds out. It's been a long wait.

For newly shipped Cephs 100% humidity has really helped mine. It what Hollyhock and Nancy had me do with mine and they are NEVER wrong. ;)

It will help with pitcher loss and to rehydrate the plants. I was also instructed to add some water to the pitchers after shipping and to soak the roots overnight in diluted Trichoderma and/or Superthrive. So far I can't argue with the result I'm getting.

PS. Your first Ceph was a difficult one to start with. Personally I wouldn't sell a plant in that condition. It may make a strong comeback though.
I'll definitely add more humidity then.

Well, after the pitchers died I removed them and dipped the whole bottom of the rhizome into clonex and hoped for the best. I now see 3 leaves growing where there was none in the course of a few days. I think it will make a decent comeback.

My concern was how densely packed the soil was which made me want to repot rather quickly. I have rotted roots from potted pings that I purchased in a matter of a few days. Luckily I had pullings to keep it from being a total loss. I think it goes well that I have a slightly more "airy" media mix in my climate to prevent rot. I'm not sure if that's even right but it worked out for the pings. Some trial and error notes for the learning process :D
By coffeenflowers
Since the pots are circular, if you can find a cup that fits over it, you can place it over the pot for the same effect as bagging. Then, over a few weeks, cut holes into it the same way you would poke holes into the bag.

Are you going to repot either of the newer ones you got? I've been thinking about getting an FTS ceph but I have a couple typicals already.
By erikHIplants
coffeenflowers wrote:Since the pots are circular, if you can find a cup that fits over it, you can place it over the pot for the same effect as bagging. Then, over a few weeks, cut holes into it the same way you would poke holes into the bag.

Are you going to repot either of the newer ones you got? I've been thinking about getting an FTS ceph but I have a couple typicals already.
Yes because the pot they arrived in is essentially a small plastic cup :lol: They currently are doing fine now.

The FTS ceph is a nice clump of little pitchers and leaves.
worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as w[…]

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!