FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Alex2893

This fly trap looks really neat. I have never seen a trap like this and was wondering if anyone has one or knows about it. one should be at my door tomorrow so ill post photos when i get it.
By Matt
That does look really neat! I've grown a few flytraps that have shown the same characteristic, but haven't actually chosen and named one because it isn't terribly stable in any of the seed-grown flytraps I've seen it in. I'm curious to find out if the arced traps of that plant are stable. If they are, I will probably acquire one myself and try to get it propagated for offering at the FlytrapStore.

I've never heard of it and I can't find any other photos of it online anywhere. Do you know where the plant originated or anything about its history? How well distributed is it? Do you know if the characteristic is stable?

There are a lot of named varieties emerging on the market these days, many of which are seemingly typical looking flytraps or that have a characteristic that isn't stable or often shown. And there are lots and lots of flytraps that are leveraging their parents names that really aren't all that spectacular themselves, such as B52 x BCP Giant, B52 x Low Giant and others. And there are lots of varieties sold on eBay all the time that I've never heard of and that don't look so interesting or name worthy. Given the hot market for flytraps in recent years, I suppose it's not surprising that people are trying to capitalize on it.

In any case, I look forward to seeing photos of yours when it arrives and to hear about your experience with it.
Matt, Matt liked this
By Handrail Pete
In the pic, only 2 are definitely curved; one can't be seen from the view and at least 3 are not curved. Smells fishy to me, but I hope it arrives with the complete desirable trait!
By Alex2893
so i received my plant today and well im kinda disappointed. The health and quality of the plant is very nice and a good size but i dont see any traps as arched as the ones in the photo. kinda just looks like a typical...
Image20150930_230736 by Alex Littig, on Flickr
Image20150930_230758 by Alex Littig, on Flickr
Image20150930_230714 by Alex Littig, on Flickr
By SEWinans
I'm sorry :(

It's a pretty plant, but as you said, it looks very typical.

I feel like the photo and description of the plant on their website falsely represented this plant...
By Anymal911
The description says the petioles are fused and gradually roll outwards, and that they grow tall and skinny; however, it also says that they grow closer to the ground in the fall. I would say that you should wait at least two seasons (dormancy excluded) before drawing final judgements on a cultivar. Wait and see how it does in the spring; THEN you can say you are disappointed with the plant. :)
By Mufasa
Anymal911 wrote:The description says the petioles are fused and gradually roll outwards, and that they grow tall and skinny; however, it also says that they grow closer to the ground in the fall. I would say that you should wait at least two seasons (dormancy excluded) before drawing final judgements on a cultivar. Wait and see how it does in the spring; THEN you can say you are disappointed with the plant. :)
*waits 2 years* "yeah, my fly trap isnt arching, can i get a refund?"
By Anymal911
Mufasa wrote:
Anymal911 wrote:The description says the petioles are fused and gradually roll outwards, and that they grow tall and skinny; however, it also says that they grow closer to the ground in the fall. I would say that you should wait at least two seasons (dormancy excluded) before drawing final judgements on a cultivar. Wait and see how it does in the spring; THEN you can say you are disappointed with the plant. :)
*waits 2 years* "yeah, my fly trap isnt arching, can i get a refund?"
SEASONS, not years... It probably loses its shape in the fall, and gains it back in the spring... I'm just suggesting he should wait, especially if nobody on here has any experience with this particular cultivar before...

(Now what if we just crossed this plant with Fuzzy Tooth... Hmm...)
By Matt
That's a very healthy, typical looking flytrap!

Based on my experience with plants that show similar characteristics, I'm guessing you'll get the odd trap here and there that arcs, but the majority of them are going to look like the ones currently on the plant.
Anymal911 wrote:SEASONS, not years... It probably loses its shape in the fall, and gains it back in the spring... I'm just suggesting he should wait, especially if nobody on here has any experience with this particular cultivar before...
Still, is it fair to ask for a refund after SEASONS with the plant? And that's just speculation. The description should really give more detail about the plant, like when to expect the arced traps, if the trait isn't shown all the time.

I guess the real question is: Is it fair to the consumer to buy a plant expecting a certain trait to be exhibited, but it's not?

The main issue I have with this is that there is no history given about this plant and the description says that the plant is "topped with traps that typically have a really nice arc to them" but, in fact, the plant Alex received doesn't have a single highly-arced trap. I agree with Sarah that the plant is being falsely represented on their website.

This is why we (FlytrapStore) don't sell plants until they're either widely distributed and their growth habits are well known, or we've personally observed over the course of a few years and have sent plants to others to grow them as well to evaluate them and the trait for which the plant is being selected can be well described.

It's just too easy to name every single plant that shows some little promise of uniqueness then take a good photo of it, as was done here, when it's showing that trait, but in reality the plant rarely shows that trait.

Quite a few growers in the UK have been complaining about people doing this for years. Thankfully here in the US, there hasn't been that same problem at any significant level. On eBay you can almost always find some named flytraps that are impossible to find photos of or any sort of history on. And I suspect that those plants would be disappointing as well in most cases. But no stores that I know of have yet started selling plants like that...until now? Hopefully it's just a one time thing but some of the other offerings look kinda suspect too.

In any case, I normally avoid spending money on plants that are new or I've never heard of, where the product description is lacking, and are coming from a source who I know very little about.
By Allweedneed
Matt wrote:That's a very healthy, typical looking flytrap!

Based on my experience with plants that show similar characteristics, I'm guessing you'll get the odd trap here and there that arcs, but the majority of them are going to look like the ones currently on the plant.
Anymal911 wrote:SEASONS, not years... It probably loses its shape in the fall, and gains it back in the spring... I'm just suggesting he should wait, especially if nobody on here has any experience with this particular cultivar before...
Still, is it fair to ask for a refund after SEASONS with the plant? And that's just speculation. The description should really give more detail about the plant, like when to expect the arced traps, if the trait isn't shown all the time.

I guess the real question is: Is it fair to the consumer to buy a plant expecting a certain trait to be exhibited, but it's not?

The main issue I have with this is that there is no history given about this plant and the description says that the plant is "topped with traps that typically have a really nice arc to them" but, in fact, the plant Alex received doesn't have a single highly-arced trap. I agree with Sarah that the plant is being falsely represented on their website.

This is why we (FlytrapStore) don't sell plants until they're either widely distributed and their growth habits are well known, or we've personally observed over the course of a few years and have sent plants to others to grow them as well to evaluate them and the trait for which the plant is being selected can be well described.

It's just too easy to name every single plant that shows some little promise of uniqueness then take a good photo of it, as was done here, when it's showing that trait, but in reality the plant rarely shows that trait.

Quite a few growers in the UK have been complaining about people doing this for years. Thankfully here in the US, there hasn't been that same problem at any significant level. On eBay you can almost always find some named flytraps that are impossible to find photos of or any sort of history on. And I suspect that those plants would be disappointing as well in most cases. But no stores that I know of have yet started selling plants like that...until now? Hopefully it's just a one time thing but some of the other offerings look kinda suspect too.

In any case, I normally avoid spending money on plants that are new or I've never heard of and are coming from a source who I know very little about.
Acutally carniplants.eu is selling Filiformis Venus flytrap.
It looks just like a typical plant....
http://carniplants.eu/dionaea-muscipula ... ormis.html
Allweedneed liked this
By Matt
Allweedneed wrote:Acutally carniplants.eu is selling Filiformis Venus flytrap.
It looks just like a typical plant....
http://carniplants.eu/dionaea-muscipula ... ormis.html
I found that yesterday but pretty sure it's a different variety. See here on CP Photo Finder:
http://cpphotofinder.com/dionaea-filifo ... -2139.html

Looks like the same plant that carniplants.eu offers and it is called "Filiformis verte".

Looks very different in appearance from the one being discussed in this thread. But yes, very typical in appearance.
By katya_dog1
I originally thought filiformis referred to a form of plant, see here http://cpphotofinder.com/dionaea-muscip ... -2138.html

Obviously I was wrong.

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!