FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Fishkeeper
Most of those are D. nitidula, which I planted. Somehow, though, a few of them are something else entirely. That's the biggest one, about dime-sized, and it doesn't seem to be growing any more. I'll be putting the pot in brighter light to see if it colors up at all.
The really weird thing is, I got the gemmae for these from @Raistlarn, who doesn't grow any sundews that look like that. The way they're spaced, they're definitely some of the gemmae I planted, and I haven't gotten any gemmae from anywhere else.
Does anyone have any clue how I ended up with pygmy sundews of a species that nobody involved owns?
By fattytuna
SFLguy wrote:It's not a pygmy, that would be either a burmannii or maybe sessilifolia or a related species
Most likely burmannii though

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Second that. It's hard to distinguish between the two species though, so I would avoid distributing its progeny labelled as either species to prevent downstream misidentification. They can be extremely weedy in cultivation and may have been introduced as seeds in your media?

The plants respond well to being fed. D. burmannii will retain a lime green colouration if fed anything at all. You'll get a profuse amount of seed. The plant is naturally an annual species and die after flowering, although you can keep them growing for longer if you keep on feeding them during flowering.
By Fishkeeper
I'd think I would have them popping up elsewhere if they were in the media, though. Maybe there were just a couple of seeds, or the rest got buried too deep to sprout? Weird.

Cool, I'll be sure to feed them. I haven't been feeding the pygmies because I thought they'd get enough food from gnats, but, if these guys can get bigger, I'll make sure they get enough food to do it.

Can D. burmannii be transplanted without snapping all the roots? I'd like to put them in a different pot so they can throw seeds all over that instead of getting seeds all in my D. nitidula. I'd take a 'core' of soil from under them rather than trying to remove the soil from the roots, maybe dig them out with a butter knife or something like it.
By chsr
From my experience, burmannii is a hardy little bugger. I've (accidentally) ripped all its roots off before during transplanting and plopped it into wet media, and in a week or two it's happily growing again. Might have to run over it with a truck to really kill it off.
By fattytuna
Fishkeeper wrote: Can D. burmannii be transplanted without snapping all the roots? I'd like to put them in a different pot so they can throw seeds all over that instead of getting seeds all in my D. nitidula. I'd take a 'core' of soil from under them rather than trying to remove the soil from the roots, maybe dig them out with a butter knife or something like it.
When transplanting its best to avoid stripping the media from the roots if possible (since microscropic root hairs will get damaged in the process). I recommend removing a whole chunk of media, along with the plant. If the sphagnum is long fibered, it helps to use scissors to cut up the fibers around the plant.
Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!