FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By pieguy452
I cannot find any perlite or silica sand thats within 2 hours of where i live. so are there any effective alternatives that can work just as better as silica sand or perlite? and also, i did manage to find medium grade commercial sand. could that be my best alternative?
By heathenpriest
You can use straight peat moss. Some people turn their noses up at it, but I've been using it for years, and my VFTs seem about as healthy as any I typically see. I think the trick is not to keep it too wet. I'd stay away from the commercial sand unless you know it's quartz or silica.
By Shes Crofty
I've used straight peat moss on Drosera before but never tried with a VFT.

If I don't have any perlite handy I will usually use orchid bark. I have a typical in 50/50 (peat/orchid bark) mix and it's growing just as much as it did in it's 50/50 (peat/perlite) mix.
By frog
Good Idea dantt I got a bunch of airsoft bb's that I can't use in my gun think i'll give it a try.
frog liked this
By MICKEY
WHERE DO YOU LIVE THAT YOU CAN'T FIND PERLITE THEY SELL IT A WAL-MART ,HOME DEPOT,LOWES, I'M SHORE THE DEPARTMENT STORES IN EUROPE,SELL IT ,
GLASS BEADS WOULD WORK OR GLASS GRAVEL,FROM PET STORES
By Shimizoki
Mickey, I live in a city that has more nurseries than houses. I have checked all of them, and all the standard wal-mart, home depot, etc. None of them have perlite without fertilizers. I have to travel an hour away to pick up perlite. Its quite possible that others would have a similar situation.
Not what you would expect...

ant hill? No, He hates ants. But I am pretty sur[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!