FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By roarke
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTTqCY0v8zI[/youtube]

The main plant (in the middle had about 1 mm of root left, moved her in a plastic chocolate container and thats why i took some young leaves cuttings and put them around it) was not in great shape about 1 month ago. Now it is fine and the leaves produced plants. The acclimatization will not start yet. They are in washed coir.
roarke liked this
By Dematerialize
Nice! Have you had more success by just dropping the leaves on top of the media or do you bury them slightly? I have a few leafs floating in distilled water at the moment and another couple with a few tiny strands of LFS around it slightly covering it to protect it from direct scorching light, currently waiting to see if any strike, though it'll probably be a couple of weeks before I notice anything since they've been on the surface/water for about two weeks.
Dematerialize liked this
By roarke
It seems that they just need good contact with the soil. I will not hurry acclimatization. In my case, in water there is a good chance for algae to appear, if using rain water. It will take some weeks for you too. Have you tried indoor too ?
roarke liked this
By Dematerialize
True, I pressed them a bit into the soil but you can still kind of see them if you move the thin strands of LFS. I'm going to soon cut another one and leave it a bit more exposed and see how it goes. Right now I'm using store-bought bottled distilled water which I guess has prevented algae from developing right away. These haven't experienced direct sunlight so I guess algae could develop in the right situation...I know the large communal tray has a bit of algae but I wash it off every week or two.

I'm using tiny tupperware containers covered with plastic wrapping for the cuttings, a few D. Capensis and Spatulata leafs. Since it's been so rainy and cloudy outside I'm keeping them indoors-I have five spiral fluorescent lights aimed at them on top of a table, each produces from 1,000-1,300 lumens and it seems the plants are remaining a bit red so it must be enough for them to remain healthy. :D
Last edited by Dematerialize on Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Dematerialize
They seem to be reacting well to them, probably because they're all "daylight" so they're similar to T5 or T8 bulbs-not as bright or long of course. I have them 6-10 inches away from them which probably helps.

Again this is just my belief so I could be wrong but it seems they're doing fine at the moment having not received any direct sunlight in over two weeks with all the bad weather :D
Dematerialize liked this

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

If you are going to use peat/perlite just slip pot[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!