FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By ArowanaLover1902
This was the exact plant I purchased, can't get a picture of mine at the moment.
Anyways, he is my only unhealthy plant, I'm very displeased by him.
Description: (picture later)
- Lots of dead matter under living
- Small green growth that grows smaller and smaller
- Soil is usually a bit damp (with ocassional dry spells of around a day on purpose)

Is he dormant? My Drosera Cap. is doing amazingly, he has literally multiplied by 8 in size in just 2-3 weeks (when he came he was just a little green speck, I was very angry about that, he was $12, but now he is about to get to a 2 inch diameter) as is my Drosera R. (which I didn't actually buy, it arrived in the roots of my sarracenia bulb) and my other unknown sundews (which also arrived on a sarracenia) (all of these were from CA carnivores, excluding the Drosera S.), my other plants are doing well, so I really don't know whats wrong. Any advice?
By boarderlib
Without a pic it's really hard to say for certain. Is it a new arrival? What's it's growing conditions? Indoors/outdoors? What area are you in if it's outdoors?

My spat always slows down right before it flowers or spits out a plantlet or second growth point. I always let the tray dry up to the point the water is barely below the pot then top off the tray.

http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 30434.html
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 31990.html
By roarke
ArowanaLover1902 wrote:This was the exact plant I purchased, can't get a picture of mine at the moment.
Anyways, he is my only unhealthy plant, I'm very displeased by him.

Is he dormant? Any advice?
If you are growing your plant, you are not displeased by him :) If the middle of the plant were the leaves grow from, are not growing new leaves for at least about one, two months and the existing ones stay like in the picture, it is possible that it is in dormancy. But i never saw a plant with dew, in dormancy yet.
By Adelaide
How much are you letting it dry out?
By bvalente
These plants can tolerate pretty wet conditions, I grow them in the same environment as a D. capensis. However, I wouldn't let the soil dry out daily, if that's what your post implies, that is quite a bit extreme compared to where they naturally grow.

I would keep this watered via the tray method and give it plenty of light. Older growth will naturally die below new growth with these plants, but the new growth budding from the middle should be very green (if it has had time to acclimate).
bvalente liked this
By tommyr
Don't let it dry out, keep it in a shallow water tray. Bright light. These are VERY easy plants and they produce TONS of seeds. Dead matter under living new plant is normal.
By ArowanaLover1902
By dry, I mean that I will occasionally not water it for a day, I am not saying I allow its soil to dry out. Its dead now (or dormant), but I have no clue why. Soil was damp, however, I don't think it has a healthy root system.

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!