FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Frothy_Milk
I have been away at summer camp since June, and halfway through July I ordered a plant. Kind of a mistake but it was an impulse buy. I have been giving it lots of sun and distilled water, but it has barely been producing dew. It has been slowly declining but when I get back home it should start up again (I hope). I think it is sending up a flower stalk though. Any tips??? I have never owned a drosera intermedia and am wondering if I am doing anything wrong.

Here is a photo:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Shadowtski
Drosera intermedia likes it wetter than the average CP.
Sometimes it grows as an aquatic or semi-aquatic in Nature. So you might want your water table a bit.

Second thought is that when I get a new plant, I try to acclimate it slowly to the amount of full sun it will be receiving. The new leaves will be OK with the higher light level, but the old leaves won't produce much dew if you skip this.

Just a couple thoughts.

Good growing,
Mike
By Bob Beer
Can you say anything more about your growing conditions? Light? Growing indoors or outdoors?

I've generally seen that old leaves tend to stop producing dew when the plant has been stressed; even the old "can't kill it with a stick" standby, D. capensis.

As Shadowtski notes, they do like more water. The name "intermedia" refers to their habit of growing right along the water's edge. The first peat bog I ever saw in the wild was a floating bog in N. Minnesota. As we approached the edge with the canoe, I noticed a rich dark red band along the edge. It was millions of D. intermedia plants, growing in the sopping wet peat below the live sphagnum, just barely above water level!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Sakaaaaa
In my albeit very short experience, they like it very wet. What is your lighting? Mine likes at least filtered sun. If mine gets filtered sun, the tentacles aren't red, just white, and the dew is smaller. My intermedia is also sensitive to High PPM water. Just one drop can remove all the dew from the leaves.

Another thing that might be happening is that the leaves are not new. Has it produced any new, fresh leaves? They should have dew. The traps are long, but my intermedia's traps are much more circular, just a weird difference perhaps? Mine is also much more compact. Probably because it's the tropical form.
By slinx
Sakaaaaa wrote:My intermedia is also sensitive to High PPM water. Just one drop can remove all the dew from the leaves.
Please don't make up stuff as you go, this is impossible.
By Sakaaaaa
slinx wrote: Please don't make up stuff as you go, this is impossible.
Really? Then it must have been a big drop. It was when I accidentally put my orchid a bit too close and watered it a bit too much and the water got a bit too far...

Sorry anyways...
By slinx
Sakaaaaa wrote:
slinx wrote: Please don't make up stuff as you go, this is impossible.
Really? Then it must have been a big drop. It was when I accidentally put my orchid a bit too close and watered it a bit too much and the water got a bit too far...

Sorry anyways...
If any water hits a Drosera leaf, of course it takes all the dew with it on its way down, and it takes a couple of hours (up to a day) for the leaves that were hit to be full of dew again. The PPM of the water you give them in itself doesn't matter, it's the buildup of minerals over time to a level high enough to bother the plants that's problematic. If you water your plants with 200 PPM, they will be in trouble twenty times faster than if you watered with 10 PPM. If you water them with 200 PPM once, nothing will happen. If a single drop of 200 PPM gets to them, there is definitely nothing going to happen. All under the assumption you aren't watering your plants with bleach, of course.
By Sakaaaaa
slinx wrote: If any water hits a Drosera leaf, of course it takes all the dew with it on its way down, and it takes a couple of hours (up to a day) for the leaves that were hit to be full of dew again. The PPM of the water you give them in itself doesn't matter, it's the buildup of minerals over time to a level high enough to bother the plants that's problematic. If you water your plants with 200 PPM, they will be in trouble twenty times faster than if you watered with 10 PPM. If you water them with 200 PPM once, nothing will happen. If a single drop of 200 PPM gets to them, there is definitely nothing going to happen. All under the assumption you aren't watering your plants with bleach, of course.
Hahaha the water is not dropped on the leaf, the water was leaking out of the orchid pot and seeped into the soil!! This was before I had a water tray. I moved my orchid too because [confession]I don't have enough water trays, just 1 exclusive one for my VFT, 1 big one for my 2 drosera, and 1 deep one for my utric to float in, and that leaves 1 seed pot.[/confession]

I dunno, in my experience if high-PPM normal water touches my sundew's media, ALL the dew on the leaves go away and the tentacles wrinkle and I have to wait for new leaves to dew. Once there are new leaves I feed them and everything springs back in from.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!