FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By weescotsman
Well my VFY certainly went into dormancy a couple of months ago, most of the leaves went black and died which is what I kind of expected. I don't have anywhere special to store it, so it sits on a West facing window shelf here in Scotland. I've kept it damp as this what I read somewhere, but already in December it's growing lots of new leaves so I guess dormancy is done for. But I wasn't expecting any new growth till about February timescale.... should I be worried that it's growing new leaves too soon ?
DSC_0219[1].JPG
DSC_0219[1].JPG (697.53 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
Here is a photo taken today showing the progress since the above photo was taken 2 weeks ago.
DSC_0224[1].JPG
DSC_0224[1].JPG (697.56 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
By weescotsman
So I can happily leave it in the same pot this year.... read a few posts that they don't really like being re-potted. A 3 inch pot is fine..... bring on the flies then.
By tannerm
weescotsman wrote:So I can happily leave it in the same pot this year.... read a few posts that they don't really like being re-potted. A 3 inch pot is fine..... bring on the flies then.
Should be fine, yeah. Repot it next year while it's dormant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By xr280xr
I have doubts whether it really went dormant. At that time, was it receiving less light and colder temperatures than it is now? The leaves with undeveloped traps at the end are a sign of poor health. However the new growth appears to be healthier, though, as you say, mistimed. Since there are nearly 3 months until spring, I would try to get it to go dormant by exposing it to colder temperatures. But you can also just let it do what it wants with the caveat that it won't have the best growing season this year and will need a solid dormancy next winter. If you want to let it grow now, it will probably need more light, like a southern facing window.

The rocks underneath could potentially leach salts into your water that can harm your plant. Unless they are glazed or of a known insoluble composition, I would remove them or replace them with something else.
So I can happily leave it in the same pot this year.... read a few posts that they don't really like being re-potted. A 3 inch pot is fine.....
This pot is probably the bare minimum size it should be kept in. It will live in this pot, but again, won't reach it's potential. It will do better in a deeper pot. Flytraps do really really well with repotting, but like any other potted plant, when you repot it, you task it with re-establishing its roots in the soil. Don't be afraid to repot it at any time.
By Earthy
xr280xr wrote:The leaves with undeveloped traps at the end are a sign of poor health.
this may or may not be true. mine have a tendency to do this at times during dormancy, because there is really no need for traps at that time. and my flytraps are healthy lol. if it's during the active growing season, then yea...might mean that they need more water. but some dormancy leaves are just funky and weird :)
Not what you would expect...

ant hill?

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!