FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By taylerhill
I've had my VFT all summer, and this will be the first time I'm putting it into dormancy. I have placed it in the South facing windowsill in our garage which stays in a good temperature range during the winter. Right now it is just in it's net pot with moss. Should I insulate the pot at all to protect the roots or is that not necessary? Another question, the net pot is a 3" pot, now that it is a year old should I repot it? If so, when should I repot it? During dormancy or after? It's currently in the moss that it came with, I believe just peat moss. Is there a different medium I should use when I repot it? Thanks for any help!
By katya_dog1
Oh yes, you need to repot into a much bigger pot. When you repot use long fibred sphagnum as a new medium. A four inch deep pot is good, but 6 inches would be even better.

Peat moss is fine, but next year I am going to do a test with pictures between LFS and peat moss. You can get LFS from lowes, it comes in a compressed brick.
By Matt
taylerhill wrote:Right now it is just in it's net pot with moss. Should I insulate the pot at all to protect the roots or is that not necessary?
You don't need to insulate the pot if it never gets below freezing in the garage.
taylerhill wrote:Another question, the net pot is a 3" pot, now that it is a year old should I repot it?
It sounds like your plant came from Joel and is likely planted in New Zealand long fiber sphagnum moss. That moss usually is only good for a year to 1.5 years. Best to repot now if it's a year old.
taylerhill wrote:If so, when should I repot it? During dormancy or after?
You could wait until spring, but if it is declining, you should repot now.
taylerhill wrote:It's currently in the moss that it came with, I believe just peat moss. Is there a different medium I should use when I repot it?
You should use whatever medium you're most comfortable growing with.
Matt, Matt liked this
By xr280xr
Matt wrote:
taylerhill wrote:If so, when should I repot it? During dormancy or after?
You could wait until spring, but if it is declining, you should repot now.
If it's not declining, I would do it around February, or just before you expect it to break dormancy (which may be later in CO).
xr280xr liked this
Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!