FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Moderator: Matt

By Dredd93
corky wrote:Well your sand might be perfectly ok , I have done well with a 2/1 perlite /peat mix and I stand the pot in about an inch of water in the warmer months and in cooler months let the tray dry out for a few days in between waterings, hope this helps
Man you have no idea how much valuable is your help I just did the vinegar test (common sense got back to me) it didn't fizz I will be more careful next time with a cephalotus. I don't think I may save him, I will leave him until it decide to die or reboot
About leaving on a tray are you sure it won't rot? I'm afraid of root rot earthy also have her ceph like that my temps here are from 51-84F or 12 to 27C since I have them inside I can't drop it from 71
By boarderlib
I'm glad you got it figured out. If you need though I was scrolling through the sub forums under other CP's care guides and tutorials. There's a thread by Roarke, that contains a video on how to separate minerals from sand. I can't for the life of me figure out how to link you to it though. Sorry, I'm no Tapatalk genius either.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
By Nauz
corky wrote:I can only speak from my own experience and I haven't had problems with root rot growing my plants this way
If you wanna try to save this because your medium is fine by the looks. Your cephalotus looks vary dehydrated. What works for me is putting the pot in 1/3-1/4 of the pot in a bin of water. Make sure you top or bottom flood twice a week or so. With allowing the water in the bin to almost dry out before you refill it. When you bottom flood you wanna fill up a separate bin with water to allow it to be about 1" from the top of your pot or plant positioning. Then you remove it and place back into the bin/pan you normally keep it in. Don't just give up on your cephalotus just yet it's still green. Even if the leaves/pitchers die back like others said it can recover. Now with the sand even if it is play sand I've heard it can contain salts and that's not entirely bad for cephalotus seeing as some grow on beaches naturally. Just wash your medium next time and try not to transplant them often.
By Dredd93
Nauz wrote:
corky wrote:I can only speak from my own experience and I haven't had problems with root rot growing my plants this way
If you wanna try to save this because your medium is fine by the looks. Your cephalotus looks vary dehydrated. What works for me is putting the pot in 1/3-1/4 of the pot in a bin of water. Make sure you top or bottom flood twice a week or so. With allowing the water in the bin to almost dry out before you refill it. When you bottom flood you wanna fill up a separate bin with water to allow it to be about 1" from the top of your pot or plant positioning. Then you remove it and place back into the bin/pan you normally keep it in. Don't just give up on your cephalotus just yet it's still green. Even if the leaves/pitchers die back like others said it can recover. Now with the sand even if it is play sand I've heard it can contain salts and that's not entirely bad for cephalotus seeing as some grow on beaches naturally. Just wash your medium next time and try not to transplant them often.
My respects to you, thank you for such a complete answer.

Yes today I looked at it and was still green.

I'm going to adjust to that tray method its just that with my droseras I only water them on Sunday night and they are healthy, so cephalotus as been pointed out requires different treatment.

Thanks!! :)

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk
By Nauz
Dredd93 wrote:
Nauz wrote:
My respects to you, thank you for such a complete answer.

Yes today I looked at it and was still green.

I'm going to adjust to that tray method its just that with my droseras I only water them on Sunday night and they are healthy, so cephalotus as been pointed out requires different treatment.

Thanks!! :)

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk
No problem, just keep a routine maybe write it on a piece of paper or white board or something to keep you organized will help as well. As much as people say they like to have their cephalotus dry out its only really meant to prevent root rot. But if your temps get into the 80s you'll want your plant hydrated. I think lethal_traps posted years ago of almost keeping them submerged in water. I'll have to look for that thread again.

Chris
Basal shoots cutting questions

Awesome thank you so much

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!