FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Tarzanus
chelea wrote:What is the recommended and above average of wattage to use to avoid burning the plants? I have this sliding type of door http://caldwells.com/sliding-closet-door-hardware and plan to put the pot and covers every side of above sliding portions. Need some guides that will help me on every aspect..
I'm not sure if I fully understand the question. You can't really tell how many watts is OK for a plant and how many will burn it. LEDs are not all the same and some emit more light than others at the same wattage. The other thing is the temperature of the LED light, I noticed that my warm white LEDs easily burned the plants while cold white light at the same power consumption caused no issues whatsoever. I now have full spectrum LED light (red and blue light) that has even lower power consumption, but gets used by the plant more efficiently.

In most cases, plants get burned by heat, not the light itself. In case of really strong lights, plants do get damaged, but I'm certain that there's no 18W light that could burn the plant. :D
If in doubt, I always lower the voltage of my LED light setup and gradually increase the voltage which increases light intensity and power consumption. If I see any bleaching or leaf tip damage, I lower voltage back a bit and keep my plants happy.
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!