FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By meizzwang
During my college years, one of my best friends, Dr. William Ratcliff aka Will, grew out some seeds that he purchased from Orton's plantation in the Carolinas (I think he bought these around 2002 or 2003). We suspect these were wild seeds collected from private property, as they were only sold in lots of 1000 or more.

Will graduated in 2005 and had to move to Minnesota for his graduate studies, so he graciously gave me all of his plants. At the time, I wasn't into venus fly traps so much, so the pot was placed among the Sarracenia and neglected for....oh, around 5+ years!

They were jammed into a 4" pot and neglected for more than half a decade! No repotting, no TLC, nuthin!
Out of 50+ seedlings, only a few survived and it was clearly the strongest and tougest of the bunch. This goes to show this clone has great breeding potential since it tolerated such severe neglect.

When I finally got interested in VFT's again, the pot was overgrown with weeds and smothered with dead Sarracenia leaves (it was late winter and time to repot!) In fact, the plastic pot crumbled into pieces when I picked it up since it was so weathered from the sun!

Dionaea "Orton's Red Side" as I'll tentatively call it was repotted and "grown for Jesus." After the first year of recovery, the 3 or so main plants produced huge traps! This clone can turn reddish on the inside of the trap (like most venus fly traps), but what makes this individual stand out from the crowd is its ability to produce red pigments on the outside of the trap while still having a solid green petiole and somewhat green interior. Environmental conditions play a huge role in this phenotype, but it also seems to be genetically based. The petioles very long petioles and can produce decently large traps. Over time, as the "bulb" grows large, it'll split into 2 or 4 plants, and the back of the bulb will form a few tiny plantlets. You know you have a vigorous clone when it constantly divides on its own (reminds me of B52). The fact that it does very well outdoors here in Northern California says a lot as well:it seems only the most vigorous VFT clones do well for us here.

Some photos, taken 8/7/15. What's ridiculous is how I've had this plant for years and didn't fully notice the unique characteristics until now:

The exterior of the trap. Notice there are some "normal" clones from the same seed batch mixed in this pot:

The plants "shrunk" this year because I let them flower. Some of the stalks were as thick as baby asparagus:

These plants were enormous last year, I'll pinch off the flowers next year and see if I can get them giant. Here's a picture of after the flowers finished taxing the plants:
By katya_dog1
Nice looking, vigorous plant!
Last edited by katya_dog1 on Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By meizzwang
katya_dog1 wrote:It's a shame it's not fully stable, but that's the price you pay sometimes.

Nice looking, vigorous plant regardless. :)
I don't think this clone is unstable, I think what we're seeing is phenotypic variances. For example, here's some pictures of B-52, which are known to have dark red traps. B-52 is genetically stable, yet it produces both red and green traps:

And here are some "textbook" B-52 traps:

Phenotypic variance is very common in a lot of plants. Here's a red throated S. oreophila with very little to no pigments in the throat:

Same exact clone, different trap:

D. 'Orton's red side' consistently produces the red pigments on the abaxial side of the trap under optimal conditions. It might be a bit confusing because my pot of D. 'Orton's red side' contains 2-3 different clones mixed together. I only found out about this red sided clone very recently.
By katya_dog1
Ah, I see. My bad. I thought that those were ALL the same clone. :)
By katya_dog1
meizzwang wrote:
katya_dog1 wrote:It's a shame it's not fully stable, but that's the price you pay sometimes.

Nice looking, vigorous plant regardless. :)
I don't think this clone is unstable, I think what we're seeing is phenotypic variances. For example, here's some pictures of B-52, which are known to have dark red traps. B-52 is genetically stable, yet it produces both red and green traps:

And here are some "textbook" B-52 traps:
But what is B52 cultivated for? What is its main trait?

Large traps. To my knowledge {EDIT My knowledge was incorrect here, but I will simply leave this. Mike corrected me below}, it is classified as being "capable of attaining excellent coloration under good conditions." But, as I said before, nice plant, hope it is available soon!
Last edited by katya_dog1 on Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By meizzwang
from the horse's mouth regarding the key characteristics of B-52:
"A new cultivar name for a plant germinated and named by Henning von Schmeling. Henning selected this plant because of its vigorous growth and brightly colored traps that are up to 5.7 cm (2.25 inches) long in conditions that yield smaller traps in most other strains."

Selected for both the size and color of traps :)
By katya_dog1
I apologize. :oops: I was wrong, went back and checked the CPN registration, what you quoted I believe. Thank you for the correction!

Will edit my original post accordingly.
By Anymal911
Hey guys! I just noticed that SD Dracos have the same coloration as Orton's Red Side, only darker. And last night I got a seed-grown that has it too...
I'm thinking that Orton's Red Side might just be a cross between an SD Draco (formerly known as FTS Scarlet Vixen) and something along the lines of a B52 or Big Mouth; probably not a Low Giant, notice its upward growing habit; however, there may be a possibility. B52 is also somewhat unlikely, since it was described as not having much coloration inside, and look at the pictures above. But the cilla look similar on both plants... What do you guys think?
By katya_dog1
meizzwang wrote:During my college years, one of my best friends, Dr. William Ratcliff aka Will, grew out some seeds that he purchased from Orton's plantation in the Carolinas (I think he bought these around 2002 or 2003). We suspect these were wild seeds collected from private property, as they were only sold in lots of 1000 or more.
There's your answer. Wild seeds, definitely not B52 or SD Draco.
By Earthy
I have 2 seedlings that are doing that...red on the outside of the traps too...
By katya_dog1
Anymal911 wrote:Yes, I saw this right after I posted. But it says they only speculate they were wild... Who's to say there isn't some B52 in the mix? ;)
He bought them before SD Draco was around, for sure, but who knows? If they weren't wild seeds, it's definitely possible, but we have no way of knowing.
By Matt
Anymal911 wrote:Hey guys! I just noticed that SD Dracos have the same coloration as Orton's Red Side, only darker.
I have seen quite a few plants that show similar coloration at different times. It's not an uncommon trait.
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

*Phew* Okay, hadn't updated this is awhile. :l[…]

Well.. its been a few weeks. I've watched my dog l[…]

All Mineral Media

I just got the Pinguicula soil mix from CalCarn […]

Counting to infinity.

FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!